Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GSXR 1000 K6 Clutch Shudder ??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by lyndon wright, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Brand new, is it normal ????? Thanks Lyndon

2. probably not... but you are running it in. It's got very thin oil in it at the
    moment. I remember my gixxer running a bit different with the thin stuff.
  3. Yeah, I just had the 1st svce on my K6 600 and it actually feels like a different bike.
    I can't imagine clutch shudder would be normal at any stage in the bikes life though. I would be straight back Monday morning!
  4. Actually it may be normal. My friend has the exact same bike. And if you try to race start sometimes it causes the bike to shudder a little.
    I just put it down to the bike being too tight because it's new.
    Next time I ride his bike I'll let you know if the problem still exists :D
  5. You have a slipper clutch and therefore when you engage first gear you may notice a slight delay of when the gear is actually engaged. This is common with slipper clutches because it has a two peice hub. If you go to take off during this transition you will no doubt get the hammering effect espesialy if you take off hard. In doing so...you could slowly damage your clutch basket and hub. And being a new machine I would take extra care in running it in the way your manual will state. Your clutch is only alloy and it is not bullet proof. You can get some trick kits to eliminate the hammering effect with a billet alloy clutch basket and a one peice hub.(Slipper clutches have a two piece hub) Billet alloy are lifetime guarantee. They never wear but are quite expensive. But in doing that you will have no slipper clutch and you will get super quick takeoffs but you will have to try and keep it from getting on the back wheel all the time and then deal with compresion lock ups.

But in saying all that(only from my experience) bring it back to where you purchased it while its still under warrenty and see what they have to say.

Cheers Franky :cool:
  6. Thanks

I thought maybe the slipper clutch may be doing it, I really dont subscribe to the view that its oil or running in. Also really dont like anything being fixed on my bikes, usually get another problem when one is fixed. Thanks and I will let you know what the outcome is. Lyndon