Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GSXR 1000 K1 Naked Bike

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by n3d_15, May 26, 2011.

1. Hey guys, I've had my gixxer thou for about a year now and am finding myself riding only a fraction of the time that I used to back in the day of owning older style bikes Eg, gsx250 and cbr250r and even a 2000 R1.

I just find that I think I would ride more if my bike had a friendlier riding posture. I was always thinking of turning it into a street fighter but rather than trying to make it all about looks, trying to get some practicality out of the mods.

So my questions are:

For those who have already turned your gixxer thous into street fighters with like LSL style bar kits, does this make the bike feel more like a naked, eg upright riding style?

I was also thinking of finding the front end of another sports bike that has longer folks to mount a kit like the LSLs and to have some better breaks on the front.

So just seeing what everyones feedback is like for those that have already been that and done that.

Look forward to hearing from you guys.
  2. This may not be what you want to hear, but wouldn't it be better to sell the gixxer and buy a purpose built naked like a speed triple, rather than trashing the value of the gixxer. people will think the bike's been crashed if you turn it into a naked won't they?
    On the other hand, I do understand if you want a project as that is always fun...
  3. Even better, sell the Gixxer, and buy someone elses streetfighter.
    there's a for sale section in the australian streetfighter forums.

Sportsbike based SF's are cheap as hell.
  4. If you're thinking about getting rid of the fairings, I'd go with the above suggestions. If you just want to change the clip-ons, I think the LSL bars or similar would be a good option. What are K1 gixxer thousands going for these days? If it's not that much, maybe it will be just as easy to turn it into a streetfighter.
  5. It's more so because I quite like the way the engine in my gixxer performs, I think the previous owner has installed some more aggressive cams in it.

I don't really care if people think it's been crashed and then made into a SF because i know the bike is mint, as to devaluing the bike I don't really care either, I've got a T25 turbo waiting to go onto the thing as well.

Its more so to make the bike more comfortable to ride.
  6. streetfighters.com.au
    go nuts.
  7. Fair enough then, they are all valid reasons
  8. If you're just looking for a change in riding positions - just install some bars instead of the clipons. I've seen a few gix thous that have done this. Combined with some lower footpegs its an instant transformation into a decent sports tourer. No need to ditch the fairings. With the extra leverage from the wider and higher bars it'd likely be alot easier to throw around in the real world as well as lower speed corners.
  9. just rip the fairings off, put some mx bars on it, gear it really short and get a left hand rear brake and it will be a perfect hoon bike.
  10. I will give you 50 bucks for the stock muffler
  11. Ya know I was thinking about going down that path conspiracytheorist and now that you mention it I might give that a go first, because I do really like the look of it, as it is now.

And sorry Kernel, its got a full yoshi system on it.

Also does anyone on here have a turbo gixxer?
  12. Out of curiosity, if you have a left hand rear brake do you make the clutch actuated by the right foot,or use a thumb-push type rear brake lever and keep the normal clutch?
  13. This is what I'll be doing to my blade soon. You'll probably need some risors, pro taper or similar low bar, longer clutch cable and brake lines.
  14. you keep the clutch in its original position. you just have the rear brake lever under the clutch lever. takes a bit of getting used to but is great for wheelies!

usually you have dual rear calipers when running this rear brake arrangement, so you still have a rear brake pedal on your right foot.