Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

gsx750f thoughts on buying one

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by ivan the terrible, Sep 16, 2006.

1. i was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts ( good or bad) on the gsx750f, I am seriously considering buying one next week but I havnt heard anything about them apart from what the dealer is telling me, the main reson I am considering it is I like the style of the sport/tourer type bikes and it is the most i can afford at the moment. any comments would be appriciated.

2. I think they're quite heavy, ugly and underpowered and you can probably get more bike for your money.

I know of a good Blackbird that'll be going resonably cheap.

/Haven't ridden one, just an opinion.
  3. Contrary to Lozs' opinion, they are not as top heavy as a blackbird, handle damn well, but are not a GSXR in speed considering the powerplant design is a few years old.

In my opinion they are comfortable to sit on for hours, easy riding position,fairly economical (mine gets 5.3 Lt per 100Km).

I'm happy with mine still after almost 2 years with 31k on the clock
  4. i rode my boss's one around for a while before i could afford an upgrade and it was a great commuter - it was the earlier model though, around 1990. underpowered my ass - get it above 9K rpm and it went like a rocket. heavy yes, comfortable yes, manouverable no, don't buy it if you want to do track days or road racing but for everything else its a fine steed. aircooled and low maintanence.
  5. I've had mine since April. I bought it with 29K on the clock, I've put 6K on it since then.

Good points:

Value for money, especially if you're buying second-hand. It's a lot of bike for the buck.

They're also comfortable for several hundred klicks without your needing a crowbar to get you off the bike at the end of the day.

I'm told they're mechanically pretty bullet-proof. Certainly there's no evidence of any new-fangled technology to go wrong and cause you problems!

It corners pretty well. It's nowhere near as capable as a sportsbike, and I'm sure it wouldn't see which way a VFR went. But it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a VFR. Get the bike turned into the corner quickly and you'll probably surprise yourself - it can still boogie if you want it to.

If you're moving up from a 250, you'll find it has ample grunt. But if you're used to bigger bikes, you probably won't be all that startled by the power. I like the fact that you can cruise along on the torque, but if you do use all the rev range it moves along well. You won't be left behind on group rides (unless you're a crap rider like me). :LOL:

You'll find it's a pretty cheap bike to insure, and maintenance costs are reasonable too.

It's a bike with a broad range of capabilities. There's no one thing it does amazingly well, but it does a helluva lot of things pretty damn well. In the real world that makes it rather useful.

Bad points:

Overweight and ugly, says Loz. Pot and kettle? :p

Realistically, it's too heavy for what it is. This is an old-school bike, which means no clever engineering to minimise weight. Moreover, the weight sits quite high, so when the bike's stationary or at walking speed you certainly are aware of it. You need to know the right way to put it on the centrestand (yes, it's got one)...

On the other hand, the weight vanishes once you're moving. And it means the bike isn't easily deflected by crosswinds or road irregularities. It's very stable.

It's got a well-proven (ie old-design) air/oil-cooled engine. So there's no nice water jacket to help insulate you from engine noise. There's plenty of camchain thrash. If you want the bike to sound better than stock, do what Jafu did and give it a new can. It makes a big difference. :)

As for the looks of the bike...well, I bought mine despite its appearance rather than because of it. Yep, it's old fashioned and bulbous. But I don't think it's at all ugly. They look better in some colours than others, and unfortunately we never saw some of the colour schemes that were on the bikes sold in the US. Anyway, who gives a toss what other people think? Beauty is all in the eye of the beholder, otherwise Yamaha would never sell any TDMs!

Overall I'm happy with the bike, and I'll keep it for a good long while. If you want more information about the GSXF, you should have a look at Katriders. It's a US site with a huge amount of info on these bikes. Check out the forums.