Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

gsx650fu or hyosung gt650r 2010??

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by crsestmn, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Currently in the market for buying a new bike. Settling in for my 3 years of p plates, and looking for a lams bike with a big engine that I can have for 5 years or so. It needs to be powerful, so i don't get bored, and not cost me an arm and a leg to remove the lams restriction. Looking for a comfortable bike with fairings...

The gsx650fu looks pretty good, and will try and test ride one in the next couple of days, however it looks heavy, costs more and is expensive to remove the restrictions. The 2010 hyosung GT650R looks great, i love the style, and the initial cost + the restriction removal looks very appealing.

My issue is this, I know that Hyosung have a bad rep through their early years in Australia, which makes me want the suzuki. However, the 2010 model hyosung looks to be plenty improved in terms of quality, and I have yet to read a bad review of it. Has anyone ridden one of these yet? I'm happy to ride a fairly unknown name, just not happy breaking down or having parts fall off like i've heard around the forums.

And before this turns into a hyosung slag-off competition.. I've heard the arguments against hyosung, however I am asking about the new 2010 model with the EFI, it IS a different kettle of fish to the 2004-2007 models.

Any comments, help, reccommendations?
  2. 1st of all, I would say do not worry about the cost of de-restricting them. More than likely if you keep that bike for the 3 year period, you will be very eager to upgrade at the end. At which point it will be worth more to you to sell the bike as a LAMS bike.

I personally would go the suzuki, mainly because I prefer its layout and looks.
  3. I would buy the Suzuki not only because it looks better but also because it will be lots easier to sell (and have better resale value) at the end of the ownership period.

I'm not in the anti-hyosung group by any means but retained value should be a consideration in any purchase.
  4. GSX650F rider here. Plenty of power, sounds great with an aftermarket can and fuel range is pretty damn good. Even stock, the bike is a nice step up from a carby bike, the pick up is good and cruises at 110km/h comfortably.

My only comment for the Hyo's, having EFI in the new range is interesting and hopefully make Hyo a bit more palatable to people.

Test ride both and decide.
  5. Test riding them both this week, just got back from looking at both. The hyosung actually felt really comfortable in the shop. I was surprised at the overall quality also. It was sitting next to a 2009 model, and the changes were obvious. Only a test ride will tell, though, really. I know I will probably want to upgrade, but I don't want that to be a factor in my decision now... I made that choice with my first bike, the CB250 (will probably sell for more than i paid), I don't want to limit myself again to buy a bike that has a higher resale.

Will let you know how the test rides go... I am leaning towards the hyosung, I actually prefer its looks, the new fairings are hot, however the Suzuki is good... so confused :?
  6. As far as I know, the Hyoflung has 4000 km service intervals, whereas the Suzuki has 6000 km service intervals. This could over 3 yrs, depending on how much riding you do, neutralise any price advantage the Hyoflung might have.

Also, not only will you suffer higher depreciation on the Hyoflung, but you will find it much harder to sell. A Suzuki LAMS 650 should sell on the second hand market rather quickly due to their popularity.

Also also, Suzuki sell accessories that can turn a SV650S into a fully faired bike, if you like the idea of a V-Twin that weighs 40 kg less than the GSX650F. The bike below was until recently sold in NZ.

7. Whilst not the 650, I had a Hyosung and it went fine until I wrote it off (it still rode well enough after I crashed it!). In a way, it was good that I wrote it off because I found mine difficult/impossible to sell when almost new (about 250 km on the odometer and 2 months old - wasn't my preferred bike that's why I tried to sell it) with a 25% discount off the ride away price. After having it for sale for one month and only having a question of "why do you want to sell it?" asked of me, I took if off sale. I'm sure I would have been facing around a 50% depreciation at sale time had that time arrived. Compare that to the VTR where I had signed the forms and had cash in my bank within 48 hours of putting it for sale.

Get the bike you're happy with and give some consideration to resale and servicing because I'm sure the Suzuki will hold up way better and sell way quicker than the Hyosung even if Hyosung have dramatically improved with their quality (and they'd want to have with the amount their bikes have suddenly increased in price). They have a shady reputation thanks to unimpressive failures on some bikes that are still only a handful of years old. If you're prepared to take a much bigger hit when it comes time to sell it then by all means choose that bike.

I think Thera wrote that it says in his manual that service intervals are 6,000 km for his Hyosung. It said 4,000 km in anything that I found for mine (and it didn't have any km printed in the manual for mine - just minor and major service headings) but I think its likely that the km got switched for miles without the 1.609 factor being applied. PS say that 4,000 km is the service interval (of course they would). I didn't know this prior to buying mine. I'd fk it off on that basis only.

I don't know why Suzuki discontinued the SV. They seem like great bikes and I'd own one. The GSX650F is a heavy bike and that is probably the only thing going against it. Good luck in deciding :).
  8. Don't equate quality with shiny and new. This is a marque that still has to prove itself to the wider bike riding community. I'd hope they are improving but only time tells that tale.

Have a good look at what it would take to replace the usual parts (brake/clutch levers and cables) and how hard/easy it would be. I found that with mine, the exhaust was in the way of the lock nut for the clutch cable so would have been a b**ch to do change the cable as I couldn't get a spanner in there (the amount it had to be tilted over would have surely rounded off the lock nut). Having the exhaust over that few mm made that difference.
  9. The service intervals are 6000kms for the 650 as Go Team said in typical Hyo style they forgot to do any conversions when translation the manuals...

Don't get me wrong they are still shit though...
  10. Hey I have the 2010 EFi hyo. First post thought I'd chime in...

It's a great bike. Can't fault it. Was in the same boat as you 2-4 weeks ago, but after getting a great deal on the hyo the choice was easy.

The gsxf650 is nice but the de-restriction is looking impossible for QLD.

Like most I'm unsure about the longevity of my purchase, but only time will tell.

If you have any Qs let me know, I'll try and answer it here.

The EFI models have 40kw in the restricted form and for general street riding thats plenty.

Not the worlds best turning circle (comparing to my bros vtr)... but it's good enough. Very stable, feels solid, goes well. Nice little things like the gears feel great... even better when the engine is warm. Easy to find neutral always. New display is easily readable even during sunny days and looks good at night. The 2010 models now have twin 4 pot callipers at the front - and with a brake pad change to EBC they'd be awesome.

But yeah it depends on the person, I know this is almost certainly my first and last bike. So the resale thing means nothing to me. BTW, the parts (3) for de-restriction are supplied free of charge to the dealer, but they'll charge you for labour.

11. Welcome to NR, when you can, post some pics of your new bike :wink:

As for de-restricting the GSX, don't bother. Suzuki Australia don't do it and once you get it done (it is possbile but not easy), you can not re sell the bike as a LAMS bike. They are designed to be LAMS compliant. Plus you have issues with insurance etc etc. Does QLD follow the new NSW laws concering displaying P's? If they don't, you should fine the resale value of the GSX pretty good if you are willing to sell it interstate :wink: :wink:

I didn't mention the weight of the GSX, but it's not something that I've really noticed. It helps being 186cm tall though :grin:
  12. Hyosung's quality is improving, but very slowly. So, go with Suzuki if you want quality now.

This is from someone who owned four Hyosungs and built one of the best handling GT650 (featured in korider calendar for two consecutive years).
  13. Thanks :)

I'll post up some pics the moment I hit 5 posts (disabled until then)... and yes this is a shameless attempt to nudge closer to that 5 post requirement :)

otherwise go to: markh559dotvoxdotcom - u will even see some pics of my cage lol.
  14. Thanks for the posts everyone... To be honest, i'm not keen on reselling this bike, i'd want to hold onto it for a long while... Also, that extra 2-3k i save by buying the hyosung will get me a new pipe, brake pads, lines, etc. etc.

Again, i'm thinking only a test ride will tell... I have to say though, the more I see of the GSX on the road, the less i like it... Just seems too much like a tourer in terms of seating position...

Any further comments, please share, and would be veery keen to hear more from anyone with the 2010 hyosung... Will keep you posted...
  15. That's because it is a sports tourer :wink: The handlebars are fully adjustable, so are all the levers, so you can drop the bars a bit more. You could find an aftermarket clip on bar for the GSX if so inclined.

Oh, add the SV650 to you test ride list. It's more a sports bike style and is available in a LAMS edition.
  16. This is the way I look at the new EFI Hyo's...

It took Hyo how long to get it right making carby bikes??? Now they have just started on EFI?? Get farrrrrrrrrrked.

Also, look a little more into de-restricting the GSX... you may be surprised. :wink:

17. The problems with the older carby'd hyos weren't the carbies - more like gear cables, forks leaking etc. Hyo have had EFI bikes in other overseas markets for a while now - not sure which countries but those with stricter emissions laws I'm guessing.

These 2010 models aren't the first hyos in the world to be EFI.

Want to be surprised about de-restricting the hyo? I saw a letter from hyo at my dealer - it mentioned that the kit to de-restrict it is supplied free of charge on receiving some form from the dealer. The dealer would then charge for labour to fit the kit.

The suzuki dealers I spoke to here in brisbane would have nothing to do with derestricting the gsxf - I believe by instruction of Suzuki Aus. The hyo dealers were happy to help.

I'm sure the gsxf is a better built bike, no question. Unfortunately for hyo their reputation took a beating 05-07 due to sub-par quality on components. TBH, I kinda like having the only 2010 EFI GT650R I've seen here. Provided mine isn't a lemon, I'm happy for hyos to not be popular/known of :) I get plenty of compliments and "wow, what is that?"
  18. Man that sucks, my mechanic did it in 30 seconds no charge (to the right person anyway). Why on earth would Suzuki not want people de-restricting their bike?? Surely that's half the sell point of the thing, a LAMS approved bike that can be de-restricted. :?:
  19. Interestingly one of the few parts that didn't break on hyo's were the Carbies guess why??? Hyo didn't make them!!!

Apparently instead of going to someone who knows what they are doing they went in house for the FI system so???
  20. AAh... don't scare me Stigger! :)

I've only got 1000km on the bike so far.. so far so good. But yeah, I'll breath easier after 10,000km with no issues.