Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GSX650F vs SV650S

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Gixxerman60097, Jun 29, 2008.

1. I could use some advise... 5 years ago I sold the first and only bike I've ever owned. A 97 GSXR 600, yes, foolishly I bought this as my first bike. I rode it for 2 years without incident and fell in love with its performance. Due to a series of events and the fact that I knew I was going to end up causing myself serious damage I decided to give up my bike.

Now 5 years later I have a serios itch to start riding again. My problem lies with the fact that I want a that handles like a Gxsr (favorite part of riding is really lay out through turns) but I'm not interested in going Mach 2 anymore.

I have been looking around and initially started to lean towards going with a SV650S but had the opportunity to test ride a GSX650F today, have not rode an SV yet. I was really impressed with how smooth the GSX was, thought it was rather lively and handled relatively well. I really didn't get to really test the handling seeing it was wet out and this was the first bike I have been on in 5 years.

I'm hoping I can get some advice from some of you out there. Again I'm looking for something that handles like a rocket and has enough giddey up because most of the people I will be riding with ride 750's or bigger. No plans on racing any of them, I know I wouldn't stand a chance on either bike but don't want to get absolutely left behind.
  2. Have you considered the GSR600?
    It lacks a fairing but being basically a de-tuned GSXR600 it might be exactly what you're after.
  3. I have a GSX650F and as you may of felt its got plenty of get up and go ,there wouldn't be a great deal or topend speed difference .
    Top speed by GPS is around 210- 220 ..from bike mags .
    One might get there quicker then the other ,just comes down you which one you like better for.

The looks
    Vtwin v Inline4.
    If you really like to lay it over the SV is better ,but as a few PRO reviewers have said ,the GSX is quicker threw the country road twistys as your not as head down ass up and you have a better seating position to see threw the corners .

But most of all ,the thing with the GSX650F is the weight ..its not lite ,BUT as your know now its well balanced , :grin: , but if your going to spend ALOT of time in the city zipping in and out of the traffic ,like a motorcycle courier would ,the the SV would be better .
    Just my 1c.