Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Gsx650f AIS removal

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Skid Mark, May 4, 2015.

1. G,day.
    Got a 08 gsx650f that has a k&n filter, Dan moto slip on and wire 31 job.
    It idles fairly rough, bad fueling when first opening throttle and is generally not happy under 5grand on light engine load. Got new plugs, clean filter etc. Was thinking fuel mixture was rich so attempted to clean sensor today but ran into a security torx bit thing that I don't have. After a little research, I've come across this AIS removal kits (one with plates and one with plugs) which sounds like it should help. Any one had experience with either of these kits and has any info for me? Cheers

2. If the mods made so far, (K&N Filter, slip on) are less restrictive than stock, ie more air flow, Then your tune problem is likely to be running lean rather than running rich, generally.

A methodical approach to the tuning of fuel injected bikes usually includes plugging in a diagnostic tool to read and adjust the fuelling via the ECU. Anything short of this is usually pretty hit and miss. I do know of people who have done such things as remove air injection systems and secondary throttle butterflies to improve fuelling with some success without the electronic aids.

The ultimate , of course, is to take the bike to a performance tuning shop, complete with Dyno which can optimise your fuelling by remapping the whole range of throttle openings. This can be pricey. Worth an enquiry first.

A really good first step before doing anything radical, is to ensure that your throttle bodies are in synch. Synchronising throttle bodies is well within the ability of a competent home mechanic if they have the tool required.

Sorry I can't offer more specific advice.

3. The AIS works on closed throttle. When the throttle is closed, air is injected into the exhaust to burn any unburnt fuel. It's why you get popping on deceleration with aftermarket exhausts. This doesn't sound like it will help your problem.

4. Also seems to be fuelling issues on light load, low-mid rpm. Cheers 4 reply

5.  Top
  6. Google Suzuki PAIR Removal. It can be done simply and inexpensively by a half mechanically literate person. Worth a look. It s a well known mod. Realise you are removing emissions control technology. This crackle on deceleration is why they wear such big exhaust cans from the factory. Add an aftermarket exhaust and it becomes quite noticeable.

As old corollas has pointed out, it should not affect engine performance.
    If my memory serves me right, there may be a need to "fool" the oxygen sensor particularly where the whole exhaust system has been replaced with a plain pipe. Parts needed. Homework required.

I've got a related engine with a megacycle exhaust. (slip on, it's still got the Cat.) It's not real loud and crackles a bit on deceleration, but it is not annoying, so I've not done anything about it.

7. Sorry didn't see this post until now. Let me set a few things straight here. 99% of time your issue is due to lean mixtures. It's very rear to see this problem occur with rich mixtures. It is more common than you think. If the bike is fitted with oxygen sensors in the exhaust you will not fix the problem. Second a few people have suggested blocking the AIS valve and suggested that it is only working when the throttle is closed. This in completely incorrect as the AIS valve is active in low percentage throttle and rpm range IE when you are cursing at legal speeds. It also has no effect on the way the bike runs when the throttle is open, it is there for environmental reasons only so you could remove it or disable it if you wish to stop some or all of the backfiring when the throttle is closed.
    The sensor you attempted to clean is that the 02 sensor? If so any attempt to clean it will without doubt destroy it and render it useless, even gasket cement, if it's not oxygen sensor safe, entering the exhaust will destroy it.
    The only way you can fix the issue is to take it to your dyno centre for a tune, or send your ECU in for a reflash.
    Cheers Dave
    Dynobike Motorcycle Performance Workshop