Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Genetical, Apr 30, 2008.

1. G'day all,

1st post since joining as have generally found so much to read there was nothing to write!

I'm on the lookout for a bike (LAMS) but Minister of Finance, Family Services and War is keeping very close eye on me so I'll be lucky to get away with more than $2K outlay... ](*,)

I'm 30yrs old, 6'2" and weigh between 92 and 102kgs (depending on season. :( ). I used to (back in 2000) ride an '87 CBX250 on which I felt like a pumpkin on a pimple and had to throttle hard to get around. I am therefore pretty happy with the LAMS system as it frees up some larger torquier bikes for us larger folk who don't particular care for screaming high revs to get moving.

From the last 4-5 months of reading, researching and conversations I think a GS500 is the best option for me, but sadly it looks like they are well out of my price range, so I'm now looking for something similar, but older (I think that's a bit of an oxymoron, but anyway...).

So, I just found an add in a local paper for a 'GSX450E'. Google brings up bugger all, but quite a lot of parts. So I'm now seeking input from Netriderland...

Does anyone know much about these? Is there a similar model I could look at on the net to get an idea of appearance/specs?

Cheers for all/any assistance you can offer.
  2. [​IMG]

looks like a suzuki harly chopper bike, with a mad seat !
  3. :-k

Are you serious?!

can I ask how you came across that pic?

actually... I kinda like it... in a weird original nobody-would-steal-it kinda way...
  4. There's no such thing as a GSX450e as far as I can tell. It could be a GSX550e, but far more likely it is one of the common GS450e. Type that into google.

Good bikes in their day, but long in the tooth. Like many old suzuki's, electronics are particularly problematic, alternators and regulator-rectifers give trouble. Could be worth a go for the right bike at the right price.

Honda CB400n would be the main alternative, usefull bikes.
  5. Unfortunately down here in Tas the range of used bikes available/advertised is limited so the chances of finding something specific (eg. CB400n) are slim.

Having said that, I've waited this long, so I'm in no hurry.

well... not too much of a hurry... but as time goes by I certainly get a little more impatient, even if things are getting cold and wet nowadays...

I'll go have a look at this 'GSX450E' on the weekend and find out what it is all about.

Do you think I'd be stupid to part with $2K for one of these older style 80s bikes? Or is it a reasonable price providing the bike is in good order?
  6. For $2000, it would want to be in excellent condition, with close or equal to twelve months rego.

$1500 and under is about right for a typical working bike of this era.

Depends on condition.

Prices in Tasmania may be different due to isolated market, I don't know.
  7. It could be any number of bikes

All are basically the same bike. The GS is generally a 2-valve motor with the exception of the first bikes on the 70s. The gsx is the 4 valve motor.

They are closely related to the gs/gsx 250 twins. They are also closely related to the GS500 motor.

The 400s didn't sell as well as the 250s though are a better bike because they were too heavy for a 250. they are relieable.

$2000? well what can you get for $2000? most 250s are around that and if your are a bigger guy then most 250s are going to be a PIA. Factor in another $500 too spend on it immediately and a further $500 in the first year. This is true of any bike over 15 years old.
  8. Do not, under any circumstances, buy a Honda CB400N.
  9. Care to elaborate Pat?
  10. I had a CB250n (same engine, just short stroke), with 90'000+km's it ran unbelievably perfectly, not a trace of top or bottom end noise, not a drop of oil burnt or leaked. It was a superior machine.
  11. I had one. Bought it because it represented cheap ccs and because everyone raved about what an awesome, unkillable and generally wonderful hack they were.

It was loathesome.

Now, I'll admit that mine was a tired example and so I'll not slag it for the problems that were a direct result of abuse and neglect. However, I'll not forgive the fact that all the aluminium on the bike was of such poor quality that it had all the structural integrity of a well ripened Camembert and would instantly grow white fur if a mouse breathed on it. This brought to light the dreadful, cheap steel that all the fasteners were made from because you couldn't apply even reasonable force to loosen a seized bolt without the head shearing off.

The frame was made of a grade of steel so awful that I doubt if it was even recycled bean cans, and in a thickness that left no allowance for corrosion. Corrosion that was inevitable since the only rust protection the factory saw fit to provide was the thinest possible coat of black paint, sans any undercoat or primer that might have made it stick.

Com-Star wheels :shock: . Who the Hell thought those were a good idea? Heavy, ugly, difficult to clean properly and with so much surface area I doubt if a full size sail would cause so many terrifying moments in a crosswind.

And that engine! Moderately powerful in 400 form, but weighing about 5 times what it should. Nasty, cheap ally and steel like the rest of the bike and with some serious design flaws. Balance shafts that didn't work that well and not at all when the chains that drove them lost tension. Two weeks after I bought the bike, the crank seized for no good reason. I phoned every wrecker in the UK trying to track down a 400N or 400T lump or useable bottom end. That was when I found out that the 400s all seize their cranks.

Eventually I found a 400T lump (kickstart fitted, 5-speed box) from a lowish mileage, well maintained bike. Paid more for it than I had for the bike. Stuck it in. Looked after it. It went well for 6 months and then, guess what, seized its crank. That was the point when I decided that enough was enough and chucked the thing in a skip.

Good points? Not many. Big and comfy (which made it heavy), reasonably quick when working, decent handling (with new shocks). Nothing that made up for the patheticalyy dire materials or the suicidal crankshaft (which, to be fair, the 250 didn't suffer from).

And when you consider that it was supposed to offer a replacement for the CB400F (which is what I replaced it with), a bike superior in every respect despite being a decade oldere design, it becomes clear just what a pile of appalling rubbish the CB400T/N actually was.

Honda have to have been taking the piss because I doubt if, even at their lat '70s worst, they could have seriously offered such a shed as a serious bike.
  12. Oh yes, I forgot about the nasty, cheap cush drive which self destructed every couple of months despite being meticulously rebuilt with new, exorbitantly priced, Honda parts.

If I were to win the lottery, I'd dedicate my life to buying every CBT/N I could trace and sticking them in a crusher. Horrible, horrible, horrible bikes.
  13. Feel better now?
  14. Yes thanks :oops: .

In fact that was such a relief, I might have a go at XF Fairmonts next (the only other vehicle I've owned that I'd classify as a complete and utter dog) :grin: .
  15. Here it is. 1988 GS450E . No wonder I couldn't find much info on GSX450E, as you can see from the badging, there is no 'X'!

So, I took it for a run and it sounded and felt nice. Pulled away well, braking was a bit slow but I haven't been on a bike for a while so maybe I'm just not used to it, or maybe it can be adjusted. New sprockets, chain and rear tyre. Has a gear rack on the back. 39,442kms on the odometer (most likely 139,942 considering owner bought it Aug 2007 already well used and rode to Byron Bay and back.

So, I now know what it looks like, I know that it feels right (I don't feel like a big bloke on a little bike), it drove fine for the 15 min ride I took it for, it appears to be in good condition, the engine history/real mileage/life expectancy is a bit of a gamble, but one I think I might just take...

Thanks for your help/advice folks.
  16. sorry, didn't have enough posts to put up pics, but that should be fine now..

17. Looks to be in decent condition. The brakes probably just need new lines, I doubt they have ever been replaced to be honest.
  18. Looks OK. Pretty much all the middleweight twins from Suzuki were decent bikes. Vastly superior in every way to Honda's offerings of the time anyway :wink: .

Bear in mind it's 20 years old with (apparently) no history so don't pay too much for it, and expect to have to replace a few odds and sods (on a Suzuki of this vintage a rec/reg is more or less a given sooner or later), but I'd regard it as a good choice for cheap, fun biking.

Service it (oil and both filters at least), change the oil approx twice as frequently as the book says (secret of longevity for older Jap engines), change the hoses and pads (bearing in mind that it will never have the stonewall braking of a modern bike) and enjoy it.
  19. Looks like the km is genuine and hasn't been around the clock. Footrest rubbers not worn down and factory frame label in place shows it hasn't had a hard life. Corrosion is typical of condensation so I'd guess its been stored in a shed for a long time. Top photo shows brown gunk dripping from the carb. A good clean out and renewal of seals may be in order.
  20. Looks like most of the things on that bike could be fixed with just a bit of elbow grease.

I'm guessing the ks are right too. The side panels on these things are hard to get and they are a bit fragile. the fact that the colours match and they are in good condition points to them being original.

It needs fork seals as well as the carbies overhaul, but other than that look good.

See if he will accept $1800. For that you will have trouble loosing.