Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GSX250F Across stalling when slowing down

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by bulby, May 12, 2012.

1. I thought it was me being a newb at first. But now I'm convinced there might be something wrong with my Across.

She stalls if I pull the clutch in too quickly when braking. It's as if the engine revs just drops all the way to 0 RPM and stalls, instead of stopping at idle RPM. My current workaround is to crack the throttle open with the clutch in until the bike's at a complete stop, then close throttle completely. Doesn't always work though. the engine still stalls sometimes.

This seems to happen a lot more often during cold weather, and when the engine is cold. In fact, it never happened last summer.

Any ideas what I should be checking? I'm not very mechanical minded, so I might have to get my Across checked out by the pros anyhow. But I'd like to be able to give them a more detailed description or have some guesstimate on what could be plaguing her.

p.s. This is probably unrelated, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the clutch does not fully disengage even with the lever pulled all the way in. Is there an easy way to check this?

2. Mine does that with the choke on...so running rich maybe?

3. Put the bike on the center stand and weight the front so the rear wheel is off the ground. Click it in to first with the clutch in. Does the rear wheel turn?

Careful; in gear there is the possibility of 70's sitcom type results if it comes off the stand. :)

4. Now that you mention it, running rich is possible. It doesn't like any choke even for cold starts. Or the throttle for that matter. Cracking the throttle / choke open when starting will actually drop the rpm and the engine stalls.

And yeah. On the paddock stand, the rear wheel spins when the bike's in gear. (With the clutch lever in, of course)

5. This happens each time I cold start my bike (Cracking the throttle / choke open when starting will actually drop the rpm and the engine stalls.). With choke on or off, does it happen even when the bike has been ridden for around 10-15 mins?

6. I know your problem.

The Across was never meant to be ridden slowly or brake. It is designed to go like a scalded cat untl it kills the rider and eleven bystanders.

If you don't slow down, this stalling problem should not trouble you.

:biker:

7. LOL. That might explain why the more I rider her, the more she begs me to go faster and harder. Really need to keep my wits about me all the time and pace myself :LOL:

It does happen. Just that I'm noticing it less after 10-15 minutes. Or maybe that's just because I'd be on the freeway by then and not much stop and go.
    I have a theory though. It seems that she stalls if I pull the clutch lever in while braking. I'll try to replicate the issue when safe this next few days. This stalling thing is starting to bother me, but not much use bringing the bike to a mechanic unless I can tell them exactly what sort of action causes the stall, IMO.

8. Confirmed a few things this morning. Her engine stalls simply when I grab the clutch lever with no throttle under normal braking or as I slow down / roll to a stop with little to no brake. She doesn't do this 100% of the time, but it happens more often than not (say... 7 or 8 out of 10 times). With the clutch lever in, I have to crack the throttle open and hold until I come to a complete stop. If I try to blip to stop her from stalling, the bike doesn't growl like normal. Instead, the revs crawl up sluggishly.

9. carbie service and new plugs time. Reads a bit like one of the float needles is not seating properly or your idle screws are not set properly.

10. Was reading through the service manual to read up on how to check the carbies and found that the recommended idle speed the Across was 1600 rpm, give or take 100. Mine was around 1100 to 1200 rpm, which I thought was average / normal. In fact, I thought 1600rpm was a bit high.

So I adjusted idle to around 1700-1800 rpm and pronto. No more stalling. But the revs do dip about 500-1000 rpm below idle when slowing down with the clutch in. Not sure if this is normal, but it explains why my engine stalled when idle was 1200 rpm. And from memory, it's always been behaving this way since I got it.

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys. They're much appreciated =]

11. +1
    Do a search on Across slide carriers. They're notorious for failing and causing all sorts of odd running problems.

Cheers
    JM

12. Hi Bulby and everyone else. Glad to hear you have sorted this with your Across, however I am having similar problems with my 09 GS500F, which Bulby you mention you've also owned. Did you ever have trouble with the GS500F? And does anyone know the solution when you have fuel injection (ie cannot ust raise the idle, which has always been around 1100rpm off choke once its warm). Just pushed her from halfway down St Kilda rd to after The Avenue/Dandenong rd (thanks to the 3 seperate people who offered their vans / ute but I can't say no to the excercise at the moment, did take me over an hour). I'm hoping it's just the battery, but the battery is only 3 months old.

13. The only issue I had with the GS500F was battery liquid needed topping up. No other issues for the short time I had her until the write off due to cosmetic damage.

I'm not very mechanical minded, so not sure if I'd be of any help. lol
    Have you checked the manual and see where it should idle at? I've always thought the GS500F was carbureted?

14. Wow. It IS carbueretted, (I'd thought it was but was buying oil and had rung dad to check online as the oils said suitable for injected or carbueretted, and the manual he found online said injected) according to the manual, and the idle speed once warm should be between 1100 and 1300 rpm. I'll check the battery level as well thanks for that. Failing all that, a neighbour has a trickle charger I could borrow, but I hope trickle charging isn't a regular part of bike ownership (I heard it was if you don't ride for a while, but I ride everyday unless I've been drinking the night before or am going to be) because my bike is parked on the opposite side of the unit complex from my unit.

15. Oh, and don't forget fuel amd fuel tap. Happened to me once. I got stranded on a kerb for a good half hour trying to figure out why the bike won't start. Almost called for a tow too.

Finally noticed I've clocked more k's on the trip meter than I thought, turned petcock to reserve and rode off to the nearest servo no problem. Definitely not a big fan of my 12l tank.