Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GSX-R600 K7 - steam facial ??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by hynejont, Jul 13, 2010.

1. All,
    I'm a newbie to the Gixxer club but the other day I got caught in the rain on it and when stopping at the light, got a facial from the steam coming from the radiator somewhere. IT happened again on the way home but weather was still wet. Rode it this morning in the dry :) and no steam but not sure if my paranoia but could smell more of a dry, heat smell. Not quite burning smell but enough to grab your attention but at the same time, new bike to me and new smells so just not sure
    Note - no over heating from the temperature gauge during any of this.

Questions are:
    Is it normal for rain/water run off from fairing/visor etc to hit the manifold and give you a facial on the new shape GSX-R600/750's ?
    If not, any known weak spot for radiator and or hoses to go on these bikes

Any help would be much appreciated. BTW...wish I had got one of these babies sooner :grin:

2. My K8 750 gives me a good old steaming when it rains. Given the system runs between 85 - 105 degrees, I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's just the rain evaporating. :D

3. Thanks 'TheRuss' - I'll keep an eye on the coolant level just to make sure as it was a fair amount of steam but it did seem coincidental that it was pi55ing with rain as well.

4. Hot Disc brakes will steam after you stop. It of course appears in your face.

5. It's just the rain. Love the smell of header steam.

6. It's one of the best reasons to ride in the rain, when you pull up at lights the steam going everywhere.

I am going to try to get a good pic of my bike steaming after the next rain ride.

7. Is there the sound of escaping steam or just a cloud of steam after you pull in?

The latter is nothing to worry about.

8. The dry heat smell is just all the crap from the water (most of which, on a bike, is road spray, not direct rain) drying and baking onto your engine and exhaust. It's not a problem. Well, it's not a problem for me, because I don't clean my bikes. You may find it a chore to scrape off :D.