Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GSX-R 750 2000 model, a week of ownership

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Chlowen, May 10, 2009.

1. Hey all,

I got my 7fiddy a week ago and have been riding it most days since. I upgraded from a GS500 which was a really good ride. I am still blown away with how much power the 750 has, but I guess the best part of the bike is it's handling, it goes into the corners better than the GS500 and has a lot more authority, you know you are in safe hands. The suspension is amazing as is the braking. Going from a single disc to a double is butt clenchingly good.
    This bike has met and blown away my expectations of how good biking is, I was more than satisfied riding the 500, but now I feel like people were keeping a big secret from me, the difference in seating position, handling, power and the size of the bike is amazing, I feel like it is a new kind of riding, one that I didn't even come close to on the GS.
    A 2000 model might seem a bit old, but I love it and am very impressed.

I hope this helps anyone looking at this type of bike.

Regards

Paul. :grin:

2. :grin: Welcome to the world of GSXR's.

Wait till you take it to the track.... :twisted:

3. my 600 goes through traffic much better than my 125/250.

lower centre of gravity helps no end.

kinda sharks along...

lavely jabley

4. sounds like you're in lerv, Paul :LOL:.

5. Yup, welcome to the club! They're magic, and will keep you honest for a while yet. Trust me, there's plenty more that you probably haven't even considered yet (like north of 8000rpm!?!) Hee hee!

I've had mine since Christmas and still have a healthy fear of what it's actually capable of!

6. Good to hear, as Im looking at a 2000 model aswell.

Question though, are they good for commuting say 60k+ days?

Cheers.

7. What sort of 60 + kays? I believe it would be make your day a lot more fun.

Paul.

8. Forgot to mention:

Sign onto Gixxer.com if you havent already.

Wealth of information in that site on GSXR's, from the oil/air cooled bikes of the 80's to the present.

Mostly American, and lots of funny threads on the forum too. :LOL:

9. I'm doing 40kms each way 5 days a week, and it's fine. Took about a week to get the muscles used to it, but fine after that. Definately more fun than 4 wheels or pubic (sic) transport.

+1 for gixxer.com, good resource.

10. Central Coast to Sydney and back would be my routine... and I guess you would get used to it... but just checking if this is the type of bike you would consider as a daily commuter?

Cheers.

11. Unless you spend weekends on the edges of the tyres their life (lack of) would be my issue if I was looking.
    A more "touring" type of tyre would kill some of the fun of a Gixxer.

12. Thats a good point!...Weekend benders would definetly be routine, part of the reason I would prefer one of these over a "tourer".
    But can't afford both styles, so basically trying to get an idea, if I should bother with a gixxer, when 4 out of 7 days a week would be to commute!? well its a 50/50 split almost!

Cheers.

13. Do it. I'm doing more commuting than scratching atm, but love getting it cranked over when I can.

Tyre life is a bit of a worry for me, but I bought mine with Mich Pilot Road IIs and they are lasting well. They're dual compounds, so harder/longer lasting in the middle and softer/grippier on the edges. Seems to be working well for me so far, even if they're not as much fun as Pilot Powers would be.

14. Wow the OP nailed it with that first post. Exactly how I felt going from a 250 to my 675. I was like "How come no one told me about this?"

Motorcycling is a whole new ball game on a bigger bike :p

15. I just sold my 2000 GSX-R750 the other day. It was a fun bike, that's it in my avatar.

16. I got no idea with tyre setup, except for the fact that the softer they are, the faster with good grip and a shit load more wear!
    Am I close???
    Well I'll see how I go.. the one advertised is a good price and a replica of your Avatar aswell. (Noiiice colour Scheme)!

Cheers

17. That's the general rule, yeah. The only advice I can really give you is that the Pilot Road IIs are great, and so far the wear after I've had it for nearly 10,000km in 5 months is pretty good. They're the only tyres I've had on it, so nothing to compare.

If you're coming off a 250 like I did the difference in grip on an angle is phenomenal, and these are more sport-touring than all-out sport tyres. The dual compound construction I reckon is a great idea.