Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500f Valve Clearance and Maintainance

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Old Man, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Hi Guys,

First time Poster, first time GS owner, love the bike but hate the "suzuki recommened Valve Clearance checks" every service. Doing 790 kms a week to and from work puts it in every 3 months or so for service, over 5 years i could buy a new bike for the money spent in the shop, so what do you guys do? self maintain? what manual do you use? (latest i can find is 'Suzuki GS500 Twins 1989-2002 Workshop Manual')

Cheers, Old Man.
  2. I'm pretty confident the gs500 has screw and nut valve adjustment, so it's pretty easy to do.

Especial since there are only 4 valves.

Get a workshop or Haynes manual and do your services yourself.

Oil and filters are easy. Add valve clearance and you wont need to shop very often.
  3. I got a manual. Mine is 1989-1996.

Measurements are: 0.03-0.08mm cold on both inlet and exhaust.

Once you know your bike you'll hear if they're out. But they're known for holding really good tolerance....

I had my valves checked for the second time at 60,000km... all within tolerance. 85,000km... hmmm might check them again sometime soonish.

Suzuki GS500 twins would basically be the same engine regardless model - except for the fuel injection.

There *ARE* some parts that are different in the bottom end though, just if you're not aware. Generally they are interchangeable as a whole assembly - I found that out when looking for bits for my gearbox output shaft...