Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500F Rack Options

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by cmtire, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Hi All,

First time poster, but the forums have been invaluable to me as a new rider!

I've just been released from my Hi-Vis Vest (VIC) and got my restricted license. :smug:

Now I'm left wanting more riding, and keen to start riding to work. I wasn't into the whole top box thing when I was first looking at buying, even turned down a bike with a top box while looking :facepalm:, but I've come to realise that it would be one of the best/easiest/most practical ways of me leaving my gear with my bike (no option to take it in to work).

I have a 2008 GS500F, and have found a 39 litre top box on Ebay for cheap (budget is the key!), but need options for how to mount this to my bike. It comes with a mounting plate that I'm confident I can adapt to fit on some sort of rack, but am finding it hard to source anything without hefty price tags.

Also, being on my restricted license for years to come, I wont be carrying a pillion, so am extremely interested if anyone has any solutions for removing the grab handle and replacing it with some sort of rack/mount.

Hoping for something like this,

GS500Rack.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Welcome cmtire, congratulations on de-Lurking. I can't help you with your specific question but I am sure some of the more mechanically minded members will be along soon to offer advice.

If you get a chance you should post an introduction thread in the Welcome Lounge, it is the general custom around here and it will help your account upgrade to member status.

3. ebay "shad luggage rack" and join GStwins.com and check their message board for "DIY luggage rack" lots of stuff there.

4. Welcome cmtire,

I bought mine with a ventura rack and bag, already fitted. Very handy and can be carried facing forwards if no pillion, for better weight distribution. A second bag can be zipped to the first with some models.

More recently, I've scored an Oxford expandable tail bag which straps to the seat. Now I'm only using the Ventura kit when long distance touring.

This doesn't answer your question directly, just food for thought.

5. Thanks for the suggestions!

I've tried ebay for over a week and a half coming up with every search option possible, but only getting quite expensive results from the UK with crazy shipping costs.

I picked up a tail bag a couple of weeks ago and love the practicality but trying to get something secure that can just sit on my parked bike all day.

6. A shad box and rack is $200 delivered. $100 for the rack and $100 for the box.

7. Thanks,

Any chance you could message me a link. I can't seem to find anything in this price range but sounds perfect.

Cheers