Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500F - Pop goes another fuse...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by 17SJS, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Hi all,

Having one really annoying issue with my '04 GS500F, and I'm looking for guidance from you lot for the sake of my sanity.

In a nutshell - if the engine is warmed up properly (say, after 15 or 20 mins of riding) and I turn the bike off, if I then attempt to restart it within 10 or 15 minutes the lights will dim for about two seconds (starter motor won't turn) and then the fuse blows.

I've gone through fuse after fuse trying to locate the problem; I've replaced the starter relay/solenoid/whatever you want to call the part that the fuse is attached to on these bikes. I've also checked the starter button and kill switch for continuity in case it was shorting there, but doesn't seem to be the issue.

Any ideas? To make it worse, it's intermittent - I can't accurately reproduce it every time, but when it happens the only way to get going again is to jump the solenoid terminals with the toolkit screwdriver (which suggests to me that it's not a problem with the starter motor itself - unless of course by jumping these terminals I'm just providing more than 20A to the starter motor which is enough to kick it over?).

Thanks in advance for any light that anyone can shed on this!

Cheers

J

2. my thoughts would be the starter motor.

3. More likely the solenoid.

Give a couple of taps with a rubber mallet if you can get at it.

4. Something is shorting to earth if the starter has been replaced its in
    the wiring loom going to the starter twisting the handlebars may be
    an influencing factor try left then right if its chaffed one side will be OK

5. After looking at the wiring diagram, it would be worth carefully checking the clutch switch and associated wiring (yellow/green). That is the only fused wiring that is live only when you press the start button. The other possibility would be the starter relay itself, but you say you've already replaced it.
    Good luck!

6. Isn't doing things like looking at wiring diagrams cheating? You're supposed to take random guesses like the rest of us. :LOL:

Good work mole.