Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500F performance exhaust installation Melbourne

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Pete70, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Anyone know any good bike workshops in Melbourne I can take my GS500F to get a performance exhaust installed?
    Can the stock exhaust be modified?
    Which exhausts would you recommend?
    I want it to be louder and must sound good ofcourse but not overly loud!

2. If you get a full system no need to take it to anyone to get installed, it's very, very easy to do yourself.

If you get a slip on you will need to cut the exhaust at the appropriate spot and weld/attach the slip-on somehow as the GS500 exhaust is all one piece.

You can drill out the end of the baffles for more sound but personally I'd buy another exhaust so you can keep the stock one to put on when you sell or need it for RWC etc.

I have a thread below with pics on my new exhaust. Note that with a GS500 they run fairly lean from the factory and putting on any exhaust you will most likely need to re-jet the carbies (easy to do) otherwise a free flowing exhaust will make it very lean and cause problems.

Any straight through exhaust will be quite loud (such as mine) or the popular Jardine exhaust which you can get from the USA.
  3. thanks for help, would you recommend your F1 exhaust, is it too loud?
  4. At first I thought it was too loud, but now I like it. The problem is everyone has a different idea of what is too loud. It's certainly not Harley loud. It's actually loudest I think around 4000 rpm under load, so you can work around it if needed with revs and lighter throttle.

I've been meaning to get a movie of it so I can see what it sounds like off the bike. I'll try and do that sometime soon and post it up - that should give you a good idea.
  5. yeah I would like to hear it.
    Are there any other cheaper exhausts you would recommend?
  6. That's about as cheap as you'll get for a full exhaust. You can get a slip-on for around $500 but you'll need to pay a shop to put it on and you no longer have the original exhaust.

Have a look here for some exhaust options:
  7. It's a GS500. Why would you?
  8. Why not? Why not enjoy the bike whilst on restrictions? Especially if you are going to keep it for a while like I am.
  9. GS500's are great bikes to begin on, I would have kept mine to run around the place on if I hadn't been leaving the country.
  10. if I was going to sell it in a year or so I would not bother but I want to keep it and the stock exhaust sound is a bit lame so why not make it sound better and enjoy it more!
  11. Fair points but it will never sound as good as the old Triumph 360 degree parallel twins.
  12. Stupid double posts.