Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500F - Help fix after crash

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Jase1, May 18, 2013.

1. #1 Jase1, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
    Hi guys

Unfortunately I was involved in a crash on my beloved 2007 gs500F.

Basically what happened was an old lady suddenly merged into me, I subsequently braked too hard and the front wheel washed out and me and the bike went for a slide down the road at about 50km/hr, the bike fell HARD on to it's left side.

The good news is I was wearing all my gear so came away with just a few bruises, and my bike is comprehensively insured.

Now, there are some cracks and scratches on the fairing, the left side crank case is scratched up but no leaking oil.

The problem is that the engine sounds a bit different, more loud in a way, there is more vibration coming from the engine and it has lost a noticeable amount power in the low revs specifically. It also seems to be using more fuel than usual.

So what could cause this from a fall over? Would the engine be starved of oil from being on it's side? I have checked the oil and it seems all good..

This bike didn't have a scratch on it, and I have a loan for it and need it to get to work everyday and so my prime concern is making sure the shop which I choose to fix it can adequately diagnose and fix all the problems.

My other concern is front end and frame damage, even though it seems to handle OK, how would I know that there hasn't been some underlying damage in such a hard fall over?

I have searched on the forums and couldn't find anything specific to my question so that's why I posted.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. Could be anything. Might have been a fuel dump into the engine. Could have dislodged an exhaust.
    Don't ride it and make sure all is mentioned to the assessor. You ride it and you might do more damage.
    Front end alignment they should be able to check.
    Consider also that if your Insurer is going to need to spend a lot on repairing it (can't tell actual cost from your description they might write it off so the can recover something from salvage.
    I'd just check for fuel in the oil to be on the safe side but sounds like exhaust. If you do have fuel in the oil then I'd contact the insurer before you change it so they know.
  3. Thanks for your reply, will take all that into account.

Funny you mention exhaust, because from the sound its making that was my first thought also. However the exhaust is on the right side on a GS and I checked for leaks while idling and couldnt find any- doesnt rule out a leak entirely though.

Would an exhaust leak cause a noticeable loss of power low down?
  4. Could do. You could lose the back pressure pulse.
  5. I'm afraid your Flux Capacitor has been damaged, you'll have to get a new one
  6. Thanks Gurbachen, but my flux capacitor is just fine....
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Check where the headers and the join onto the rest of the exhaust , you might have smacked the underneath of the pipe with the centre stand as it went down?
  8. Check the air filter...often when bikes lie down for a while oil from the crankcase works its way up the crankcase breather hose, which is connected to the air box, and clogs the air cleaner resulting in rough idle, loss of power etc..

If the engine is noticeably noisier than pre crash, also check the oil level in the crankcase and top up as required.

-IF the bike does not travel straight and true as it did before the crash, best not to ride it till frame and suspension has been check. May be as simple as the triple clamps have been tweeked or it could be more involved.
    -Check also that the bars are not bent before assessing how the bike rolls/travels and steers.
    -Standing next to the bike grip both bars/grips and apply enough front brake to lock the front wheel. Now push and release the front end HARD making the front suspension work through its travel. Any unusual stiffness, tight spots, strange noises etc could indicate a problem with the forks ie bent. Also a good test of head stem bearings.