Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500F for a BRAND new rider too much?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by alexandre, Nov 18, 2011.

1. heya,

So i have been looking for my first bike.

Background, i've done my NSW learner's course, and that's about as extensive as my experience goes.

I was looking to get a CBR250R ABS - but after reading a few threads, people seem to think that the Suzuki GS500F is the go.

I am 27, and have been driving for over 10 years, so not that "irresponsible"

Would only use the bike on short trips and weekends to cruise around.

Thoughts? ideas? suggestions ?

I have enough self control to make sure i don't do anything stupid, but just curious about the actual size of the bike, and how easy/hard it would be to learn on ?

2. No not too much at all and probably together with the CB400, two of the better unrestricted LAMS approved bikes available....
  3. Not too much. you'll get over 250 pretty quick. 500 is way better on the freeway
  4. I learnt on a GS500, easy enough bike to learn on. Heavier than the CBR and a bit top heavy (especially with a full tank). But still not a real problem.
  5. phew!! last thing i waned to do i star research from square one!

thanks for the input :)
  6. It's a bit of a pig, if you are tall it's probably ok
  7. FWIW I truly believe that learning on a 250cc is preferable for a number of reasons:
    1- They are harder to ride
    2- They are more unsettled by changing road conditions
    3- They are light
    4- They are cheap to run and maintain
    5- You WILL get over it and sell it as soon as your restrictions have been lifted
    6- You WILL get over and sell a bigger LAMS bike as soon as your restrictions have been lifted

Take note of 1,2 and 3.

Learning to control a small bike will translate to making you a better rider when you get on something bigger- bigger bikes can allow you to be lazy......

I am donning my flame proof jacket here
    Get the best 250 naked bike you can afford........the naked part means any miss-haps or drops will cost less to repair.........

donning second layer of flame resistance
    I have flogged this cat forever - Personally I think the best learner machine is a VTR250....
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The GS 500 is a great learner bike, as is the CB 400. If you're a bit vertically challenged, the 400 may be better. Lots of little bikes are toy-like, and while they're very agile, they lack for stability and sure-footedness. Like the old ('70s vintage) Z250, the GS500 feels like a much bigger, much more planted bike. They're a very confidence inspiring bike to ride. They sit on the road like a big bike, not a scooter.
  9. Do it. Whilst I've rightly copped a bit of flak on here for not practising as much as I should have, it's a very confidence inspiring bike. I'm a bit like you; 25, had my car license for 7 years without any accidents etc.

Scared myself silly doing my test and gave up on the idea of getting a bike.

Got a bike 2 months later. Have ridden it every day for the last 5 weeks (when I bought it) no problems, in all conditions. It's comfy and has enough power to excuse your bad gear changes.

However, first couple of rides not having a gear position indicator was annoying, and it's still kind of weird having no fuel guage or even a light when your low. You get used to it though.

Just one thing. It's sort of boring to ride. More fun than a car but not as much as I thought.
  10. Test ride a K5 GSXR thou ... or a 954 'blade.

You won't be bored...
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Picked mine up last week as my first bike. Definately not too much, the power is easily manageable, opening the throttle wont throw you off the bike.
  12. ... Which is what you want in a learner bike. There's enough, unlike some smaller bikes, but not too much. Same with the brakes - they work, but they need a decent squeeze to achieve real braking force. Same with the handling - stable, dependable, solid.

There are far more exciting bikes, but the things that make them exciting also make them quite unsuitable for a learner rider.
  13. Hmmm I'm on my Ls and have a GS500F, nice bike but as others have said if you aren't up around 6" or scrawny then a smaller bike might be better. If you want a GS500F buy it second hand I really dont see the point in buying brand new for your first bike. Save your pennies for when you get off your Ps...

All well and good but having ridden the CB250 for my Learners course it was crap and not exactly that enjoyable for me as it's size gave me bad leg cramps. The GS500F on the other hand has the torque to pull without wringing the neck out of it and in general is just so much more comfortable and enjoyable a bike for me.

Going by your theory though owning a CBR125 is going to make you more skilled so why not get it instead?
  14. Agree with Stewy. Buy it second hand . there are good 500's around. Which is what I did. Got a 500F on my L's. Dropped the bike a couple of times (from standstill and very slow U turn) - translated into scratched fairings and bent brake lever. Rode 7000k's over 6months . Learnt all about the twisties, revvn the guts out of the engine before I traded it in for a 650 Kawasaki. Did long rides on the 500 and it can go all day. Has a 20L tank which will give you nearly 400k's if you're cruising around town and not twisting the throttle too much.
  15. I bought a CB250 as my first bike and replaced it with a GS500F about 5 months later. In hindsight I wished I had gone for the 500 in the first place. It's a much more enjoyable bike to ride - easy in the city and on the open road (250 struggled out in the open). While I'm just on 6ft tall, I reckon you could get away with it being shorter than that...
  16. GS500F is a brilliant learner bike. Nothing wrong with buying one brand new if you have the funds. It won't lose too much value over the time you have it as they keep a pretty good price in the 2nd hand market.
  17. How much do you weigh?
    If your over 80kg and or over 180cm then a 400 or 500 makes more sense.
    That's why there are 400 and 500's on the allow list.
  18. Many of us cut out teeth on the good old gs500. Great bike. I still own mine and use it as a daily commuter.
  19. great responses, that's so much!

i'm not really tall, but not short either - let's call it average! and weight about 70kgs,

I guess i'll have to sit on the bike and see how it feels?

Some really nice 2009 GS500s around for $5500. really like the look of the 2010 black one, but will probably stick with a blue/white 2009.
  20. The GS500F was my first LAMS bike. I chose it over the 250's because my commute was mostly freeway riding. I'm only a short ass 165cm and 70kg after big meal; and still found the GS500F ok to ride. I would agree that it is top heavy and you have to learn to short shift to keep up with traffic. it's economical; easilly get 300km before you switch to reserve. it's relatively cheap to buy and cheap to insure.

By the way I upgraded to a LAMS SV650S to try a sportier bike. I actually found the SV650S easier to ride and it's better balanced (not top heavy), handles better, being semi naked you get the wind protection from the front and it doesn't get thrown around by side wind, better gearing, nice torque from the v-twin engine, sounds better and even better with an aftermarket can.