Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500F Fairing

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by gillsy83, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Hi All,

I'm hoping to pick up my first bike in the next couple of weeks, however I prefer the GS500F with the fairings however as everyone keeps saying (and I can claim from sore shins in the rider training) I am bound to drop the bike.

Can I buy a GS500F and easily (or cheaply) remove the fairings until I'm confident on the bike and put them back on later?

2. Yes - if you want to you can remove the fairings and put them back later when you have some more confidence.

You may (will) need to attach a headlight/front indicator unit from a non-faired GS500 while the fairings are removed.

I can attest that the fairing is expensive - around $500 each for the top, left and right sides plus the sticker sets that go on them.

My wife recently had a small drop of her brand new GS500F (she simply lost her footing coming to a stop at a small roundabout).

It cracked the top fairing, scratched the left fairing, scratched mirror, indicator, bar end, clutch lever, gear lever, footpeg and centrestand.

Total repair bill: $2900!!!

I must say though that our insurer (AAMI) has been fantastic! From the moment we lodged the claim and paid our $550 excess they were most helpful. They only needed one quote from our chosen repairer, and their assessor saw us the next day.

They approved all of the repairs, only questioning one thing - they asked if the left fairing could be repaired instead of replaced (which I thought was a fair call... it only had one small scratch). After a quick chat to the dealer he was happy to replace it, as he agreed that the extra couple of hundred dollars extra was a small price to pay to keep us happy.

Everything with even a scratch on it is being replaced with new genuine components from our dealer.

Sorry to hijack your thread - but I just wanted to illustrate that yes, the fairing is expensive - but if you're insured it's not all bad.

Thanks to AAMI and Mick Hone for exemplary service.
  3. You have a few other options
    - add oggy knobs so that the fairing is less likely to contact the ground in a slow speed drop - this will require a hole to be drilled in the fairing to allow the knob to protrude.
    - Just remove the lower fairings, so you can retain the standard headlight and upper cowl.
  4. Exactly the information I was after thanks :)

I'm going with AAMI, they've been great through my Driver P's and now are the cheapest for my comprehensive with my L's Bike.

Can you give me an indication on how much it would be for a dealer to remove the fairings and add the indicators?

It's my first bike so have no idea of cost.

Thanks for the info.

5. Miraz, I was going to do Obby knobs, but the dealer recommended against them,

He said if you do slide the motorbike during an accident and catch the knob on the gutter etc it can flip the bike.

But your other suggestions, lower fairings, you mean along the engine/side?
  6. I'm not sure what a dealer would charge... most likely a couple of hours labour - $200 +/- plus the cost of the parts at a guess.

I would recommend blowing $50-60 on a Haynes workshop manual for your bike and doing it yourself. Save some money and learn about your bike in the process. It's not a difficult job.

I'd be shocked if you couldn't get the non faired bike's headlight/indicator assembly from a wrecker cheaply as this bike has been around for a while.
  7. Great thanks,

I'm going to do the Stay Upright Maintenance course to give me a bit more mechanical info to.

Thanks for the info guys,
  8. If the bike is sliding down the road with sufficient speed then you're going to do damage anyway - bars, pegs, exhaust, engine case will all pick up significant damage. The oggy knob will save the fairing in a low speed drop, which is your most likely requirement.

The lower fairings can be removed in a few minutes - two rubber bungs link them together under the engine, then undo half a dozen bolts on either side and they will pull clear.
  9. Thanks,

I like the idea of just removing the side fairings, so will do that :),

Will that also hide any scratches on the engine if i drop the bike when i put the fairings back on?
  10. The vulnerable bits of the engine aren't really covered by the fairings....a decent slide will do more than just scratch the engine.

You might want to think about engine guards too....

11. My main issues is getting the friction point and gears at lower speeds, it's like learing to drive a manual again.

So it's just minor scratches i'm worried about. Anything major I'll have insurance for that.

I'll be driving around the back streets until i'm confident so I'm more worried about little drops etc.
  12. Don't worry about the friction point on the clutch - I'm sure you'll have it down in just a couple of hours.

13. Yeah I had it pretty much down in the training course, but it's just getting confident enough in traffic.

So it's all just practice.
  14. Just relax and feel the bike and listen to the engine, dont think too hard about it,it will come as second nature.In no time it will be instinctive.
    Get the faired version,all that body work is great incentive to be careful not to drop it.Short as the screen is,it does offer protection at speed on the open roads.
  15. Mate, if you want the fairing model then get it. My first bike was a GS500F, owned it until I could ride a larger bike and rode it for 13,500 kms with no dramas or drops. Don't think that just because you're a learner you will drop it. Be careful at low speeds as that's when it's most likely to happen, coming to a stop, in a car park or something similar.
  16. Yep, I agree that if you like the fairings then get it.
    I've had my gs500f since xmas eve and did consider it without the fairing.
    Every time I see one without a fairing I'm always glad i chose mine.
    You're the one who has to ride it and it makes a difference if you're on a bike you enjoy.
    I also changed the pipe which some thought not worth it because I'll probably change. But my opinion is that if I'm going to ride a bike for at least 15 months before I upgrade, I may as well have it feeling just how I like it.....
    The right choice is what's right for you.

I also don't believe in making choices based on something that may happen..
    True, mistakes have a high probablilty early but the more dear you machine is to you, the more careful you'll be..
    Remember even those who have been riding for a longer time can make a mistake, so does that mean you should never ride with fairings just in case? Of course not...

Good luck with whatever you do..

17. Yes I agree with all of that ,, I also had a GS500f. take your time and ride as much as possible .Buy the 500f and enjoy every minute off it ''

Hey'' I also have a touring screen for the GS 500f. its in a nice dark tint.
    if anybody with a GS whats it ... its yours free :angel:'' EDIT gone ''Miraz
  18. Buy a chinese set of fairings from aliexpress, swap them over, ride it like it's stolen ;) When you crash/sell it, swap back to the genuine fairings.

Replacement fairings from China, which are reasonably good quality, $400 including postage. Suzuki rip off around $1000 for both sides and that's assuming you didn't break any tabs on the upper fairing or mounting points, lol.
  19. Even the genuine fairings are under $200 a side if you buy them from the US...