Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500 solenoid on carbs

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Chollima, Sep 29, 2009.

1. I've got a new GS500, my first bike; I'm a complete newbie and slowly exploring it; now looking at electrics.

Recently (03/04) a Throttle Position Sensor and a solenoid has been added to the GS500, and these are both attached to the right carburetor. My question is: what does this solenoid actually do? :-k

It's tricky to look this up, since the manuals don't cover these new additions, and searching for solenoid just gives stuff about the starter solenoid switch / starter relay; I'm assuming (assumption being the mother of all f%#k-ups) that the solenoid on the right carb is a solenoid valve rather than a solenoid switch and that it does something with the air/fuel mixture :?:
  2. Thanks for info. Apparently there's a newer GS500 Haynes manual that goes up to the 2006 models so I'll have to try and get my hands on it. Won't be doing the FI thing though!
  3. I have that newer Haynes manual... I will have a look this afternoon and see what it says.