Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500 Rear Shock Upgrade (R6)

Discussion in 'Archived' started by Miraz, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simple, easy upgrade for all the GS500 owners out there to improve their rear suspension. The rear shock from a Yamaha R6 bolts straight in, can be fitted easily in around 20 minutes - makes a whole world of difference to the handling of your bike.

Make me an offer around $100

Pictures shows R6 shock next to OE rear GS500 shock.

2. Was this out of your 2004 model or a leftover?

Also, do you need to sell it soon? If not I will grab it in a couple of weeks or so and I will offer some beers in exchange for installation lessons. I'm still in Warrawee so you could walk home depending on how long it takes to install ;)
  3. A friend of mine had her rear shock fail, so I imported a couple more of them....if I still have it in a couple of weeks then you are welcome to grab it....bring the bike round and I'll even show you how to install it.
  4. Alrighty, sounds like a deal to me.

I think it'll be a couple of weeks before this rain stops coming down so I will swing by then! I'll bring some beer anyway :D
  5. Do you still want this?
  6. Lol yeah sorry dude. Forgot to send you a PM. Are you free on Sunday?
  7. Yeah - stop by and we will sort it out...
  8. Thanks for the rear shock lesson Geoff. Hope you enjoy the ginger beer :angel:
  9. No problem - getting that shock swap down to a pretty good routine now

Let me know how you get on with it once you have had a chance to ride it a little bit...
  10. Feeling the difference was noticeable the moment I sat down. Like you said, the seat no longer sags under my weight so I'm going to see how the stiffer rear end goes.

Whether it's going to make my butt feel it is another story! haha
  11. The spring rate is only about 10% stiffer....but it won't bounce anymore as the damper is much more effective, should be more comfortable on your butt...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.