Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500 rear shock absorber

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Blueroo, Oct 30, 2009.

1. hi guys my 1st post, after a gap of 25 years I have decided to get back on the road again. I just got a 2006 Suzuki GS500F with 8500kms on the clock. I have done just over 1000kms and am shocked to say the least (excuse the pun) to discover that the rear shock absorber is worn out - handles like a boat and the rear wheel skips off the road when travelling on the bumpy back roads around my way.

My local Suzuki dealer has quoted me a price for a new one but also suggested that I may be able to get an aftermarket unit that would maybe be better than the original but his search for one turned up nothing. He also suggested that I may want to get something that would make the bike bike sit a bit taller to accomodate my height (188cm). Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement? Does the worn out shock absorber indicate another problem that may need attention? I am very suprised that it lasted less than 10,000kms Apart from this the bike is great and runs like a dream.

2. Thanks a great read, given me a few options and ideas