Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500 Preload

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Bigjula, Jun 7, 2008.

1. I recently bought a gs500k6, my first bike. I read that it is quite easy to adjust the preload of the rear suspension. I have checked mine and it is on the factory setting of 4. The bloke I bought it off was a pretty big guy ~120kg. I'm 100kg. Should I turn it up a bit? As it is my first bike and I haven't riden any others I'm not sure how soft/hard it should feel. Is there anything you can measure to indicate that it is the right setting for me?

2. PM your mobile number/email to me I'm very close to you and can help you adjust it, and we can go for a ide to test if you like..

3. I'm about 80kgs and '4' was correct for me, so you'll probably need to turn it up a bit. Measure the height with you on it, and then again when you are off - sag of about 25 to 30mm should be ok for road use. Depends how good the surfaces are though, that might be a little stiff if you ride on really shit roads.

It's hard to get the sag exactly right on the GS, as it only has 7 levels of adjustment. Don't use a screwdriver either, you'll wreck the collars.