Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500 or Cb400?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by andredrei, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Hi guys,
    I'm new here & yes i know people have asked this question before about these 2 bikes but I'm stuck between to bikes at the moment..
    I need to know which i one to get.. looking to purchase in the next day or 2.

Which would you suggest to go for?

2003 Suzuki GS500e - 29,000kms - Rego till Feb 2016 - $2800 is the asking price (negotiable)

1996 Honda CB400sf - 34,000kms - 12 months rego - $3500 is the asking price (not negotiable)

I'm leaning towards the GS500 because of price, I've read good reviews and its a later model & less kms, but i love the CB400 and I know they have good resale value.

Please give me your opinions.. Thanks!
  2. Looking at the 2 bikes, rego and price it would appear that the CB400 is a tad behind.

It's 7 years older, has more kms and even if you factor in paying the 400 odd for rego when its due the GS would come out on top by a few hundred dollars.

I own a CB400 myself , and love it, however I wouldn't buy a bike based off someones opinion without at least sitting on it and making sure i felt comfortable on it.

Having said that.. I can attest to the build quality of the Honda, and therefore i'd grab the CB400 myself.

3. Mate there has got to be a better option than that Cb400, its ancient!

Look at this one - a 2008 model at $4500 urgent sale - you'd be able to neg that as well. URGENT SALE: Honda CB400 2008 VTEC REVO Learner Approved | Motorcycles | Gumtree Australia Norwood Area - Hackney | 1092859439

Or this - a 2011 at $4500 as well and in Brissie - 2011 Honda CB400 | Motorcycles | Gumtree Australia Brisbane North East - Fortitude Valley | 1092413696

Yes its in SA (road trip yippee) but the point is the CB400 you're looking at is waaaayy overpriced for something almost 20 years old IMO.

Almost end of year as well, so maybe some more bargainng power from used bike dealers to be had next month.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Chilli has just hit the nail on the head
  5. Yeah - the 400 with the Vtec is a terrific machine...no need to delve into the past.

You might have a solo seat option where you are to keep rego costs down ( I do that in Cairns ).