Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500 mileage

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by george, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Hi,

Anyone care to share their mileage experience on GS500? I've got an '08 GS500F and am getting 5.5l/100km. So, without the reserve, I typically see about 260km before I need to switch to the reserve.

From what I've read, this seems slightly high, I've seen figures like 4->4.5. My riding is a combination of cruising and commuting, but mostly cruising. The bike is due for a service though (know any good mechanics in the thornbury area?).

2. I would get 300+Ks before the switch to reserve. Sometimes 350ks. So your figure does seem low. Get it serviced.
  3. Agreed, i used to get between 300 - 350k's per tank before reserve
  4. I usually get 4.2 l/100km. 5.5 is too much unless you are thrashing it.
  5. thanks for the replies.

I'm 6'4" about 95kg, so not sure whether the bike is just working harder lugging me around.

I've booked in with everything two wheels. Spoke to Pete there today and seemed quite friendly and attentive.

6. Anywhere between about 240kms and 350kms for me, depending on what I'm doing.
  7. I weigh 98kg and did 13,000 kms on my ex-GS500. Ave fuel consumption was 4.3 L/100, most I ever saw was 4.5/4.6, so it sounds a bit thirstier than normal.
  8. My gs500e gave me good mileage to the tune of around 300-400km's per tank. Depended on how long i kept the revs up high between gear changes. Also, I have heard that some people tend to ride in a lower gear when cruising down a city street or even on the highway to avoid the engine labouring. This makes the engine thirstier. I have also heard that when running a new bike in, you can affect it's future fuel consumption if you don't treat the new engine according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
  9. I consistenly get 300km's before switching - commuting from Mornington Peninsula to Melbourne CBD daily.

10. Personally, I'd be inclined to do exactly the opposite of what they recommend. In other words, baby it for 15 minutes and then go half throttle for another 15 and balls-out for 15 after that. You need to run components in, but you also need to get the rings properly bedded into the cylinder wall or you will never have the compression that you should have.

Labouring the engine isn't good process though, you're right. The carby settings are probably out if you're getting higher than normal. A change of filters and oil as well will probably see it return to normal.

Cheers - boingk
  11. Hmmmm

I have an 02 GS500E and I only get about 200km-250km before switched to reserve?! This is commuting to work in traffic though so I suppose thats probably realistic?

12. That seems low....

I ride from Sunbury to Port Melbourne on my GS500F, and I typically get 350-360km before I have to switch to reserve.
  13. Post run-in I have never had to switch before 300kms on my '08 GS500.

More than a few times I've cruised into the station on about 350kms to fill up, gone to switch it back from reserve to main and discovered it was still on main.
  14. I'm consistently getting between 240 and 260 before switching to reserve, even after having a recent service. On the odd occasion, I can smell fuel vapours, but I don't know where they come from. Not sure whether this is related.
  15. Switch to reserve between 360 & 380, depends on whether you flog the shit out of it or not
  16. I also smell fuel vapours on mine more often than not. Also, the other day when I pushed it off the stand, I heard a hissing noise, like it was sucking in air. I think my petrol cap might not be sealing properly maybe.
  17. if the hissing occurs when you sit on, or get off the bike, then your rear shock has a hole in it and needs replacing (which if you have warranty you can get it done under that, been there done that)

In the 93,000km i've done my GS500F, i typically get 290-300km before having to switch to reserve, and I don't really hold back on the throttle :biker:

(and no, that is not a typo in the amount of k's i've done on the bike)
  18. I fill up after 300-320 kms, never had to use reserve yet, I do lots of short trips as well, which i assume would use more juice.

Although I do use premium fuel, which also makes a fair difference (incl power).