Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500 exhaust - Use an R6 exhaust?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Noticibly F.A.T, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Anyone had any experience with the gs500 and the few exhaust options?

I read on wiki that its possible to put a stock R6 exhaust on it, cause its the same diamiter pipe. But, cause the GS is not a bolt on can, it needs to be cut and welded etc.

Just wondering, if i do this, how will it sound? I'm after a deeper, meaner, louder sound from the stock exhaust, but don't want to spend $500 on a yoshi slip on, and then $100 on fitting. I'd rather spend $100 on a used R6 can and $100 on fitting.... :)

Thoughts?

Here is the link i read the info on... about 1/2 way down http://cgi.stanford.edu/~sanjayd/gs500/Upgrades/Exhaust

Also, i watched those two vids. Both exhausts sound great!

2. bafflesectomy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Is there one in there? lol I stuck a torch in and couldn't see shit...

Baflesectomy still invlolves cutting the biatch open, cause its all one piece.

You reckon i should go the r6 zorst? There is one on ebay atm :)

4. Punch 1 or 2 of the baffles with a rod. My 250 had 4 baffles, all were punched, and now sounds very nice. At idle and upto about 6k rpm it doesn't sound much different at all, but after 6k, it starts to scream and has a nice little blue flame on overrun.

5. I think i'd rather keep the stock exhaust intact incase a RWC or for whatever reason something happens and i need to change it. I don't really wanna wreck my stock one.....

6. you can alternatively take it to a hsop and ask if they can make a removeable baffle for you

7. How much better do you think it would sound with the baffle removed? And is it illegal not to have it in there? Also, will it need a retune of the carby's if i do this? It might need one anyway, as i'm losing power occationaly between 8k and 10k rpm. This is probably a sticky carby needle, as it only does it most of the time, not all of the time.

8. I'm sure someone with more experience in exhausts can help you out mate... good luck in your endeavours