Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500 engine swap

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by camspeed, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Hey guys

I've got a '90 GS500E with a bit of a problem. The driveshaft splines are stripped resulting in no drive to the front sprocket. It left me in a bit of a spot on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, but luckily a good samaritan stopped and picked me up and let me borrow his welder and I welded the sprocket on. Dodgy, but it got me home a couple hundred k's away.

While its holding up, the idea of pulling the whole motor to pieces to replace the shaft isn't really worth it for what the bike is worth.

So I was thinking a better option would be to just swap out the motor. Besides that, my top end has a bit of a rattle as well, sounds like a tractor at idle.

So what I was wondering, are all GS500 engines interchangeable or were there differences between the different year models? It would obviously be better to replace it with a newer engine if I could.

2. AFAIK, the engines haven't changed ever... Except for the GS550 or something, which was a 2 valve i4...

I'd maybe look at getting the shaft itself welded/machined back, if possible, it might cost a few hundred, but less than a new engine... It may not be possible, but that's where I would start.

3. I thought about that too, but to be done properly, you'd have to take the shaft out of the motor, and pretty sure the actual shaft itself isnt that expensive, its just a labourious task that costs big $ to get someone to do, and with most things I do myself with cars and bikes, I'll pull it apart in no time flat, but never put it back together lol :)