Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gs500 Engine Replacement?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by toadcat, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Today I was going up the Roseville bridge and all of a sudden the engine began to behave like someone was hitting a hammer inside it and making a LOT of very bad noises so I immediately pulled over and shut the engine off and got it towed.

The noise sounds so serious that I'm not sure it's going to be salvageable and began to do some research. Apparently such a noise may be a 'bottom end bearing' failure from oil starvation/lack of lubrication (from my side of the road googling). I don't know how this could have happened as I checked the oil last weekend and topped it up. I had been riding the bike all last night and all today and it was fine with no issues until the last few moments. The only thing is that unfortunately the last two rides have been through the heavy thunderstorms in Sydney and I believe that water may have got into the engine somehow and spoiled the oil causing the damage :(

What would the approximate cost for a GS500 engine replacement be? The one I've got is special so buying another isn't really an option.
  2. Looks like the self appointed forum policeman got ya.
  3. #5 toadcat, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012

It does start (cold engine at the time) but the noise is obviously very bad so I didn't want to keep it going. I believe the technical term for this noise is 'fcuked' :(
  4. Dafuq? I only linked to the other thread because I thought it would be useful.

I certainly don't expect people to use the search function before they post anything. Repeat questions are often the most entertaining threads.
  5. Thats what I thought--dont reduce my trolling opportunities.
  6. Here's another view of the same sound...
  7. Give me a call....
  8. Bad news - cam chain snapped and timing was off... 0 compression on both cylinders :(
  9. Engine probably won't run too well in that condition :p

You will probably be looking at about 1.5k for a new engine and up to 200 to get it swapped in. Don't bother with a rebuild, it will quite likely be more expensive.
    • Like Like x 1