Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500 crash. Lesson for new riders

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Naked6, Nov 25, 2013.

1. First of all, sorry if it's the wrong forum. I debated here and the media forum but decided here since it's a newbie warning.

This video is taken from my mate's GoPro. He was riding a GS500F with his girlfriend (the L plater on the 300), and her parents. Just after they took off from the servo, he went to lower his visor. In doing so he briefly obscured his vision of the bike in front of him, and as it came into view again he saw it was a little closer and panicked thinking he was going to run into the bike in front.

He grabbed the front brake.. while his left hand was still on his visor. Without 2 hands to stabilise the bar, the bike dropped instantly and ploughed him into the road at 90km/h. Luckily, he walked away with just skinned shin and a skinned forearm. The bike was written off and he now rides a GSX650F. He's very lucky it didn't turn out worse.

So for the love of your own damn skin:

PUT YOUR VISOR DOWN BEFORE YOU MOVE!
    KEEP 2 HANDS ON THE BARS!

It only takes a split second of inattention to go down.

2. Not trying to bag the rider, but just clarifying is he on his L's as well? I just don't see where the rider in front slowed down? (Well enough to justify the panic grab) surely your mate could have just backed off, especially on a twin? Or just continued on his line around her.

Idk I guess hindsight is great. If he's on his L's that explains it more. Just glad he's OK.

Edit: noticed he may have pulled out in front of an oncoming car and gunned it to get ahead? (Which is fine) but if he's not that experienced maybe he should've waited? Again, just reeks of inexperience.

Edit 2: spelling like an 8 year old.

3. Back brake anyone?

(only another learner's opinion though)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Boy... that escalated quickly.

He had already caught up to his girlfriend, and matched her pace. He then put his visor down. If I was a psychologist, I'd suggest at no time did he think 'Oh shit, she's slowing down, I'm getting too close."

I'd say his brain just farted. Lack of experience and motor skills. Overconfidence put him in the position to start with.

5. Out of all the crash videos on the interwebs, this one I don't understand the most.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Seems to have put his hand over the brake before he even moves his hand off the bars to pull the visor down.
    Maybe that action of removing his hand from the bar and pulling down on the visor pinched the brake.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Jebus H Christian !!!! Glad he's ok ! Now , and this is sure to start a shitstorm , to all you new riders - for the love of Dog , leave the Effing video cameras at home UNTIL you've learnt to ride properly !

• Like Like x 1
  8. Can't see how this has anything to do with the cam. It wasn't the cam he tried to adjust. It was the visor.
    Anyone that's ridden with a cam will know it's set and forget and you don't know it's even there.
    I'd agree a learner needs less distractions and shouldn't be thinking about a mounted cam or trying to adjust it when moving. Other than that I think it's ok.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. I think GoldNine's point is that there's no need to make yourself look like a cock more than once.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Someone has to say it. Some people are not cut out to ride. And should hang their gloves up before they end up in a box

11. There's a thread somewhere here about this obsession with cameras, and I have to agree with GoldNine. Whether PHYSICALLY a camera is 'set and forget' or not, the fact is people WILL think about it being there. And what it might (or might not) be filming. Leave it at home till you know how to ride; I don't want to see other people's stupid mistakes; I make enough of my own, but I'm clever enough not to document and share them!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I'd agree with that perspective.
    Don't post the effing video or, if you do, expect feedback to get something positive from it and expect criticism and the inevitable ridicule from some.

13. Yes mate , wasn't saying it had anything to do with the camera . It's the additional potential distraction that you don't need when you're only learning that's an issue , OR depending upon the individual persons mind set or maturity level CAN lead the rider into riding harder than they otherwise might cos in the back of their mind they know they're filming .

14. #14 Geoff3DMN, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    It looks to me like information overload, his brain is trying to do too many things at once (for what's a newer rider).

Lowering the visor, attempting to match the speed of the other bike (after accelerating) and needing to brake to do so splitting concentration amongst three tasks leading to failure to notice the twisting effect on the bars caused by braking one handed in time which lead to extra unintended brake force being applied as the rider attempts to maintain contact with the no longer stationary bars and squeezes the brake harder.

It's generally better to leave oneself as much time and space as possible to give oneself extra buffer if something goes a bit off when riding.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. One of Keith Code's examples is that each person only has 'x' amount of concentration - for example $100 bill worth of concentration . The more concentration you 'spend' out of that $100 the less you have left over to spend on other things . So when you're learning you are spending huge amounts of that $100 just concentrating on control basics , with consequently relatively little concentration left over for hazard perception/recognition . As you get better , the basics become automatic and you then 'spend' very little concentration .

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Glad he's OK. Silly mistake because I saw no reason to be braking in the first place. Could have just rolled off the gas a bit as kilo mentioned. Hopefully he's learned a valuable lesson.

17. There's a couple of things wrong with what you've said.

1. The visor up/down is not the issue - panic braking is the problem here.
    You have mentioned a symptom not the root cause.
    2. One hand on the bars shouldn't be a reason for the bike to go down (have a look on YouTube and elsewhere for some one armed guys who race).
    3. The fix is to practice e-braking, not focusing on the visor position.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. It's in the title of the video bud that he's a new rider :)

He told me the sequence of thoughts in his head that lead to him grabbing the brake. And you are right, he was inexperienced (video title)

No, it was panic because he believed he was closing in on the bike in front faster than he was after briefly not seeing it and then it reappearing closer than he remembered. This is straight from him.

He's been fine since. It was 4 months ago.

Pretty much spot on as I see it.

1.Adjusting the visor was a major part of the events leading up to the crash. If he hadn't been adjusting his visor, he wouldn't have been distracted.

2. It says in the video title, new rider. New riders don't exactly have elite skills.

3. The fix is to pay attention to avoid situations like that occurring in the first place. Everyone should practice ebraking regardless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. glad to hear the rider is okay.
    hope he learns from this and it never happens again.

I hope that he is a learner rider; as I'd hate to believe that someone who has passed their 'P' course/licence and deemed competant has done this. I have never seen or heard of this happening before.

Regarding the video footage, I found it interesting to understand some of the lead-up events, and possibly a good training tool for other new riders.
    It is more useful, than a written account of events, where you end up with ' I don't know what happend, the bike went down for what ever reason'.

However, would this footage be as useful for a 'neg riding' charge, if the police arrived on the scene, no reason for it, other than rider fault. (unless a mechanical malfunction occurred).

I thought he was about to pass the 'L' rider in front, the way he caught up?

Anyway, mate take the criticism, learn from it and move on; I am sure this bloke will not do this again, and somehere have also become aware of the potential danger.

20. 1. Brings GS500F's into disrepute. Not happy ;)

2. Dude's cock is doing the riding. I am glad I did all my noobie stuff on my own. Any group riding situation would have made me nervous and more likely to noob up, let alone my missus' sweet posterior on the bike in front of me. At least he didn't run up her ass and bring her down with him.

3. I typically put my visor down 100m after I have stopped at lights or whatever and it has never caused me an issue. It only caused an issue here because it allowed the rider to do something nervous, noobish and penis-motivated. It could have been anything.

As I have discovered from experience, pain'll learn ya. Pain'll learn ya good.

• Like Like x 1