Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500 couple of small problems

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by WeeBubba, Oct 14, 2010.

1. hi

recently its gotten really difficult to get my key into the ignition barrel and turn it. shall i just spray it with some WD40?

also my left dial (the speedo) has lost its light, will this just be a blown bulb? is it easy to replace?

2. Bulb is quite easy to change.
    Easy search on youtube for a few full instructions by fellow riders.

As far as the key, you can get some powdery stuff from the hardware or locksmiths that may help.
    Forget what it's called but it's made from the the same thing as pencils.
    Locksmits use it often.
    Mine was doing a similar thing but found I had to have the steering in the right spot due to the steering lock.
  3. Never, never, never use wd40 on locks. It frees it up alright, but then it starts to attract dirt, which then buggers everything.
  4. yes the gs500 likes to be left in a locked position.

If you take the key with it being in OFF position, you won't be able to turn it ON position until you lock it and then switch it to ON.

Its a funny bugger.
  5. Use graphite powder. You can get it from Bunnings.
  6. kinda glad i posted now :grin:

oki doki will get onto youtube and to bunnings as per advice, thanks for that guys (or girls)
  7. wrong thread! whoops