Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GS500 badass exhaust

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Mahoney, Feb 15, 2012.

1. #1 Mahoney, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Hey all, had my GS500 for about a month now, put around 1500km on her, and although I feel learner bikes should stay stock as a rock for resale, I feel I need a bit more growl to keep me keen.
    I'm being a tightarse, but I like to do things right, so can anyone recommend a new exhaust system to make the GS sing? I don't have time to do it myself, I would prefer to drop it into a shop to get done, especially as I am aware I may need to have the engine re-tuned to accomodate the new exhaust.
    What sort of price should I be looking at for this?

I am thinkin something along these lines...

2. Yoshi mufflers sound fantastic but are over the legal dB limit (apparently even with the baffle in).

You can pick them up online for 300-600 depending on whether you want stainless steel, titanium coated or carbon fiber.

Installing them is relatively simple, just cut off the old exhaust as per the instructions supplied and use exhaust sealant and a joiner to attach it to the original pipe.
  3. So you don't have to do any welding? What about re jetting the carbie? If its easy enough to fit the exhaust myself, I'd be happy to take it to someone who can put it on a dyno to make sure the engine is still working properly.
  4. Where are you located?

If in Vic/Melb - its been said many times before on here and I am one of their users but go and Ken at Megacycle for a inexpensive and great sounding product and he will fit and all that jazz
  5. It can be fitted yourself.
    I have done it before and first time it took me about 2 hours or so.

No welding is required, just cut off and use the exhaust gasket stuff in a tube.

No need to rejet unless you decide to put in a high flow filter but its a waste IMO as its a LAMS bike that wont make much more power anyways.
  6. Awesome, doesn't sound that tricky after all, time to get onto it!

Thanks guys.