Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Grrrl takes a fall...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Grrrl, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Well, I had my first reall 'off' today... :roll:

On the way to work this morning... Just got past the airport, a bit before the Tulla merges with the Calder... Actually just before Mickleham Rd...

Anyway, for some reason the speed limit dropped back to 60kph... I'm sure it was 100kph yesterday!
    I was looking to change lanes to the faster right hand lane, then looked ahead again, and I was going WAY faster than the car in front. :shock:
    So in what seemed like just seconds before impact, I grabbed the brakes, locked up the front wheel then the back slid out to the left.
    The bike fell down on the right side, I hit the road, and the bike hit the car...

It all happened so fast up until that point, but then it seemed like slow motion as I slid down the road... I wish I knew just how far I tumbled along, because it seemed like forever... :shock:
    I was thinking 'is it over yet? can I get up yet?'
    Once I finally stopped sliding I was still in the middle of the road, so I jumped straight up and walked off to the side of the road...

The gear:
    My leathers held up extremely well, the pants are slightly 'grazed' and you can only tell because the black stuff has come off just a touch, but that's nothing that can't be fixed with a little raven oil or even boot polish...
    The Joe Rocket jacket is still near perfect too... I don't think it will even need touching up... but I WILL replace the helmet even though I didn't really bang my head and it's just got a few minor scratches on the surface, you can't be too careful, right?

I got off very lightly considering the speed I was doing at the time...
    I wasn't too shaken up, the people who stopped to help (thanks whoever you were!) seemed more troubled than I was!
    No major injuries, just a bump on the knee and the elbow, and a bit of a sore shoulder... no broken bones, no blood and gore...
    Went for a ride in an ambulance anyway "just in case" but was released from the hospital again within an hour...
    Damn, I missed the gimp party too! :p

The bike:
    My poor little bike wasn't as fortunate as me... the handle bars are bent inward, so it's quite narrow now, would be much nicer for lane-splitting like that though :LOL:
    I will need new handle bars i guess... and the brake and clutch cables will need replacing, but that's about it... just a couple of scratches on the tank and air filter...
    It's already in the shop.
    It still goes, coz somebody rode it up to a servo for me, and the ambo guy followed so I could collect my helmet and keys from him - how lucky for me that the ambo guy is a biker from way back and has a collection of modern and vintage bikes in his garage - he was very understanding!

The policeman recommended we didn't make a report unless we specifically wanted to, otherwise he'd have to book me for wreckless riding, and for doing 100kph in a 60kph zone, so he was very nice about it all too!

I was extremely lucky all round I guess! :)

Still hasn't put me off the slightest bit though... I miss my bike already :roll: