Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ground Anchor

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Jimboza, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Gday all,

I'm in the process of acquiring my first motorbike, but unfortunately I would have to store it on the road outside my house, in a relatively crime free area, but I cant take the chance of it getting stolen.

There is a LOT of lawn all the way down to the gutter (but very steep until the end where it flattens out), so I was wondering if you experienced riders have had any experiences with a ground anchor that I could install on the lawn.

I was thinking via digging a hole near the gutter and filling it with cement up to ground level then installing a screw in type. Or getting one of these http://www.getprice.com.au/Oxford-Terra-Force-Heavy-Duty-Ground-Anchor-Locks-Gpnc_355--51627390.htm

and installing it in the cement itself. Please guys any recommendations? The security of my bike is currently the one thing stopping me from getting my dream bike.

Cheers, James
  2. You don't say where you live but check the legal situation on parking on the nature strip/verge in you area this may be illegal. I assume there is a drive up to the house even if it is steep? Is there no where up near the house you can pour a concrete pad that the anchor can go in?

I would advise if you are pouring concrete for the anchor that you pour a pad large enough for the bike to sit on, that way you don't have problems with sidestands sinking into the wet ground. Also a bike cover is useful for a couple of reasons, protects the bike and also makes it a bit more anonymous for anybody driving by. Good Luck. :)
  3. Got a telegraph pole and a massive chain handy?
  4. Thanks for the replies. What I had intended, was that I would park the bike on the side of the road (legal everyone does with their cars) and simply concrete a small area (deep enough to be too heavy to lift of course) on the lawn next to the gutter. That way the chain from the anchor would still reach over to the bike which is right next to it at the gutters edge. I live in the Blue mountains if it matters. Also I read that it is illegal to install the anchor to the road but noone notices in another thread.

5. I chained my bike to a pole once.

Jeez the dancer was upset !!!
  6. I've tried ground anchor before and it was cut. They need to be really beefy to work and that means it'll be expensive as special hardened metals don't come cheap.

Get yourself a paging MC alarm with shock and proximity sensors like the Voyager 5000 (or Scorpio i900 if the bike is worthy of the extra investment). Voyager 5000 is <120 on ebay and pretty easy to DIY install. So far its the best value security device i've found.

I've had too many insurance claims for busted ignitions, etc to bother with anything less.

There are threads around where people discuss disc locks/anchors and several people confess to having them but being too lazy to lock up, myself included. All the locks and anchors in the world are useless if you get lazy about using them.
  7. One problem you may have, is a liability issue, if someone was walking along, and tripped on a ground anchor that you installed on council property.

Another, murphy's law, you will go to the trouble of doing something, and someone will park there car there, and you will not be able to use the thing.

Find somewhere closer to the house, or even lounge room for example....
  8. You could screw in a wombat ground anchor. Once you take the top off it would be tough to get out.
  9. Don't like the sound of this (engrish aside): "Emergency Disarm (In case of lost or damaged remote situation, user can do disengaged the alarm system)"
  10. It requires the key. Can't do it without the alarm going off and probably giving you a broken ignition.

The benefit of this alarm is that it deters thieves from getting close enough to try anything.

This alarm has proven that thieves will leave my bike alone and completely massacre a HISS system in preference.
  11. If they want your bike they will take it. Does not matter what you do.
    There are alarms with gps trackers and engine cut outs available now.
    That's what I would be getting if I cared. Or making sure my insurance was more than my payout, or a replacement one.
  12. Get an alarmed disc lock, xena makes a good range, buy the smallest/cheapest one (your buying it for the noise not the protection really)

Get a big fat chain and lock, oxford makes a good one thats pretty fat and has a huge lock, use this to secure your rear wheel preferably to a telegraph pole or something, failing that, just wrap it around your rear wheel and swingarm etc.

Get a good cover, and use that to keep your bike looking nice and also looking stealth.

that should do enough to be honest, it worked fine for me for about 3 months before i was able to secure underground parking location.
  13. Don't bother, they cost $60-80 and they are a big bag of fail.
    It'll go off when you don't want and not when you do. The battery replacement is annoying too. You'll get jacked off with it and stop fitting it. Personal experience with a Xena, not hearsay. If I wanted to steal a bike with a Xena i'd foam the siren and drag it away quietly on a gojack or skateboard.

Attempts have been made to steal my bike with $200 worth of Kryptonite chain securing it to a concrete slab. Not good enough value. You'll get lazy eventually and not always use it. Thieves will still try their luck.

My building apparently has 'secure' parking. Ask me about all my theft insurance claims and you'll learn that it means squat.

Spend $115 on a Voyager 5000. Piss easy to install with a little advice.
    If your bike is worth it, get a Scorpio.

after hundreds spent on theft prevention and thousands on insurance claims, I wouldn't use anything less.
    PS: I can recommend a really good bike transporter and IMR is good for the first three claims (3in5yr policy), then you have to switch to AAMI for the next two (3in3yr policy), then you fkn get an alarm and the claims stop. Just get the alarm first.
  14. Look up http://mega-anchor.com.au

We used these to replace fencing when we were helping properties affected by the Victorian fires a few years ago.
  15. There would be liability issues if your anchor is on the nature strip, in some areas that is council property.

I have a rlink alarm, similar too the i900, just with gps. Works really well just set it and it does the rest itself. I did right a review about it somewhere on this forum.