Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gripping the tank

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Epyx, Jun 21, 2008.

1. I was at a bike shop the other day and the salesguy said I should grip the tank with my knees when I ride, and that this would take some pressure off my back and wrists.

Makes sense to me. But on my Suzuki Bandit 250, in jeans, I find myself sliding into the tank all the time. I can't really get enough purchase on the tank.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I buy some tank grips like these?

2. Yes, you should buy some of these! :grin: :cool:
  3. I bought some stomp grips from Race Replica, they gave me 10% discount for flashing my NR member card. Even if you're not racing the tank grips are a great idea, they've saved my nuts on several hard-braking whilst raining occasions.
  4. But they are difficult to apply, rather sharp if you ever happen to ride to the shop in shorts, and are not re-usable if you ever take them off.

Tech-Spec Gripsters are better. :wink:
  5. You should be sitting against the tank anyway or as close as you can and stop "Armoralling" the seat :LOL:

A more grippy seat would be better than the tank mods :wink:
  6. :LOL: :LOL:
    re: seat, I had mine recovered in a more grippy material ( snake skin textured I think ) works wonders, esp in the wet when wearing plastic overpants.
  7. Oh cool idea! I never thought of getting the seat recovered. Who does that kind of service?

Edit: Ahh, now I can access the Garage ... you went to Axion Motor Trimmers. That's not far from where I live. Would you recommend them?
  8. Absolutely! I made an advance booking, told him I needed it back same day.
    Dropped seat off around 9:00am, picked up 4:00pm. Great Job, reasonably priced too.
  9. *jizz* Looks like I've got my first mod about to happen then! Thanks Vinnie.
  10. Your most welcome mate.
    Don't forget to tell him you want non-slip material, he has 2 kinds from memory, one more grippy than the other. I went for the lessor one.
  11. Stomp grips come off the same way you apply them, with a heat source (hair drier, heat gun) and when they're off, just throw them onto a cleaned mirror and you'll be able to re-use them. I never ride in shorts, so the sharp raised bits are perfect from gripping against my draggins, gortex pants or leathers.

Dear OP. Most tanks have a scalloped design, so that if you're gripping strongly enough, the shape will try to wedge your thighs apart when you slide forward... that should give you plenty of resistance to sliding forward. Better get a thigh master if this is a problem!! :LOL:

I'm not a fan of grippy seats, except for the pillion (avoids helmet clashes). Grippy rider seats interfere with weight shifting during performance cornering.
  12. Some of the best advice I've read on this forum is to use your legs to grip the tank when cornering. This releases the pressure on your arms, wrists and cornering will become a lot smoother and easier.
  13. are the tank grips / seat grips really neceassary?

the bandits arent designed as a sports bike to be thrashing the shit out of it a leaping around your bike like a monkey.

i assumed that if you cant grip the tank properly it is either a porely designed bike or you bought the wrong bike for the wrong reasons.

in saying this im only assuming because i grip the tank exceptionally easily on my 1990 model cbr 250 and i can only imagine that technology and bike designs have improved over the last 18 years.
  14. If they help your ride, then yes.
  15. 1 - No. But they can be of great benefit.
    2 - They aren't? So they shouldn't be taken around corners, riden with correct posture? Who was asking to leap around like a monkey? I thought the OP wanted to take pressure off their back and wrists (which gripping the tank will do).
    3 - You assumed incorrectly. There are many different bikes out there with many different shapes. More so there are riders out there of many different shapes and sizes.
    4 - So having sampled your CBR would give you a good base for comparison on all other bikes?
  16. I love reading posts from 5 minute experts :LOL:
  17. :LOL: I don't agree with your sentiments but your imagery is hilarious.
  18. Thanks all for the inputs. I'm getting my seat re-trimmed today and have some tank grips on order. Probably overkill but all part of my learning experience.
  19. I've got stomp grips on the blade, and they work good against the winter textiles and draggins.
    With my leathers on...grip is not a problem at all...and THAT would go for ANY bike.
  20. Yep. I guess it depends upon the kind of bike you ride, however, as to how important this is. I ride a supersport bike and you have to ride it without putting pressure on your wrists and arms. So much so that your arms are pretty much just there to provide throttle, clutch and brake control and steering input. Keeping yourself secured to the bike comes from your torso, midsection and legs.

From Keith Code's 'Twist of the Wrist II':

"...C H A P T E R 8

Rider Input: Holding On

You have to build confidence in the bike, your first "instinct" is to tighten up.

Have you ever noticed your forearms pump-up while riding? Do your hands become tired during or after spirited corner-carving sessions? These are two of the main indicators (there are many more) telling you something is wrong. What are the indicators saying? How you hold onto the bike is quite an art all in itself. In fact, it is actually a separate technology with its own rules (Wouldn't you know it?), its areas* of agreement and disagreement with machine technology and, naturally, SRs that can ruin your riding time.

Do you command your arms to tense-up or do they do it automatically*? Do you need further proof this is a survival reaction? Try this. Take a series of turns at-speed* and stiffen-up your body on purpose as you ride through the turns; really hold the bike and bars tight. For most riders, it's the only way to discover exactly what's happening. Generally, riders don't notice their pumped-up arms until they slow down. Is this automatic?

Too tight on the bars is survival reaction (SR) #2.

Survival Reaction #2
    Again, by survey of over 8000 riders, the overwhelming choice for runner-up in the "unwanted riding conditions" class is: too tight on the bars. The same triggers that cause roll-off/roll-on also fire up this unconscious action. And yes, it is the sole* reason for the message your arms and hands are sending home to you. The message is: Please send oxygen, we are overworked and starving.

My first inclination* is to simply say, "relax on the bike", but, because we're dealing with SR's, it's not that easy. If there was a way to simply hot-wire (bypass) these reactions, I'd tell you, but there isn't. But we
    can handle them, using education as our primary tool. So let's get smart
    about holding on..."

"...SR #2 Conclusions:
    Confusion is the result of too much input to the rider at one time. Holding on too tightly could cause up to 11 bad effects in one single turn, possibly even all at once. SR #2 creates an exhausting chain-reaction of unwanted input and corrections to the machine.

By being comfortable and having the idea you fit on the bike, your body position will be more conducive to making it easier to control the bike and use good riding technique. In this way you're not fighting yourself. It's most important to use the footpegs to unweight the body while changing positions on the machine. This holds excessive handlebar useage down to a minimum and reduces upper body fatigue.

Survival Reactions:

The enemy is tough but limited in number:
    1. Roll-off the gas.
    2. Tighten on bars.
    3. Narrowed and frantically hunting* field of view.
    4. Fixed attention (on something).
    5. Steering in the direction of the fixed attention.
    6. No steering (frozen) or ineffective (not quick enough or too early) steering.
    7. Braking errors (both over- and under-braking).

Survival reactions (SRs) usually affect the arms first. Your arms control:
    steering, braking, throttle and influence handling.

Everyone has had all of the above happen to them. Are they automatic? Take tightening on the bars as another example. Do you command your arms to tighten up, or do you find they have done it on their own? Do you choose to have your attention narrow and target fix? Did you over-brake on purpose?

Whether for a real or an imagined reason, anything that triggers one of the above survival reactions (SRs) is an attempt to reduce or avoid injury. None of them work in harmony with machine technology or rider control. In the following chapters we will see how to defeat them...