Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gripping handle bars/tucking the elbows in/nutral at lights

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by yelloweagle, Mar 3, 2006.

1. I don't know but for some reason this week riding to work my right hand I have decided is far to close to the handle bars, they should be further to the end shouldn't they? I have also noticed when I go fast tucking my elbows right in is best is that normal? At lights like at the front I try most times to go to nutral do other people?, I have headed off from the lights at second when no time and revved it up so I don't stall. Have heard some people don't even clutch it just go into the next gear.

2. Are you supposed to use the clutch to change gears?

man, and here I was thinking that it was only for taking off :p

3. Mate, hold your hands wherever it feels best... :LOL:

Tucking your elbows in is always best at high speeds, unless you're trying to take off that is.

The only time my bike ever sees neutral is when it's started, but you could use neaytral I spose.

You don't need to use the clutch for any gear changes, but I would recommend it for changing from 1st to 2nd so you don't accidentally hit neutral. Changing without using the clutch will do no damage to the gearbox, some bike models even recommend it.

4. Firstly thats partly correct.
    Changing UP without clutch won't damage gearbox.
    Always use the clutch when changing down the gears.
    Secondly which bike models recommend you to do clutchless gear changes?

5. Re: Gripping handle bars/tucking the elbows in/nutral at lig

i like to keep my forearms parallel to the ground and roughly pointing backwards

yes, always. too tiring for me to lean over on a sports bike when stationary

you will wear out your clutch marginally faster...

i can and do clutchless shift from 1st to 6th and back again... just requires the right technique (preload gear lever, flick throttle off and reapply just the right amount). not recommended for low revs/low speeds

6. You will also find that on most bikes, Shifting up clutchless tends to be alot smoother

7. Different bikes (and riding styles ) require different techniques. Sometimes I use the clutch, sometimes I don't. Riding older single- or twin-cylinder bikes fast, it was marginally quicker to 'unload' the gearbox by giving the clutch a bit of a tweak with the throttle wide open than it was to back the throttle off. Not a technique that I would recommend for most modern bikes.

8. I have a modern Guzzi and have to clutch up and down or else forget about getting it in gear smoothly.

9. You'd be the only bloke who does. (sorry)
    Haven't ridden a Guzzi in a while. You used to pull in the clutch, count to ten, then move the gearlever, probably improved since then, still don't know that I'd recommend flat changing though, even on a Guzzi, with the vastly reduced reciprocating mass of the later models.

10. Dirk your not wrong about the old Guzzis, but I have to admit they have improved dramatically, reciprocating mass is reduced considerably in the new engines.

11. Well I now know what the problem has been with my elbows, I have been sitting far to close to the damn tank, guess it has made me feel safer but as I am tall my elbows end up doing the chicken dance :LOL: , as for the grip well maybe that was too much thinking time.
    I tried the clutchless change on the way down to the island quite easy but my left boot is close to getting a hole so thought I better stop, it is quite nice instead of using the clutch all the time as long as it doesn't play up with the gear box.

12. This whole concept of changing gears without the clutch is new to me.

I've only done it a few times by accident and thought to myself "wow that was cool, bet I can't do it again" but I assumed it was screwing up my gearbox.

So.........my point is, I trying it yesterday and it doesn't always work for me. Basically I go to change gears and the lever just won't move. Maybe higher revs or back of the throttle? What are everybody’s techniques for this?

13. Just back off the throttle and kick it up.

You dont need to back off heaps, and you have to be revving reasonably hard (not redlining, but spirited riding.. Maybe not even that, but dont change like a granny)

so just dip off the throttle, kick up and get back into it.
    Easy as pie, just imagine your doing a real quick cluthch change and dont use your left hand. Simple.

14. re: clutchless
    why would going down the box be worse for things than up it?

15. Its much harder to go down because forces are much higher.
    Your using the engine and gearing to slow the bike down, so when you go to swap down a gear youll be swapping to much more force placed on the engine and driveline.

When you swap up a gear your releiving pressure from the driveline.

Im sure theres a technical reason too, probably involves force and cog size and engine revs and science and stuff.