Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Grinding Noise From Front Disk?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by es, Apr 10, 2006.

1. My battery went low overnight :(
    Tried to start it this morning, and its usually throaty (healthy) sound had been reduced to barely a weeze. The power was lacking, it sounded weak and unhealthy *cries*
    I couldnt push start it (possibly related to my lack of talent in this area ;)).
    Should I try to charge it up? and how do i do this? Do I possibly need a new battery? how much will that set me back?

I finally buy insurance and then my bike dies :(

2. If it's a wet type, then it may be just a matter of topping up the water.

Also, get yourself a charger. K-mart or similar have them.

People will tell you you need a "trickle charger". Mine states nothing of the sort and I've never had any trouble charging bike batteries.

Chances are your battery is on the way out. Replace it with a sealed type. They are much better. They last longer, handle sitting around, never have to be topped up and have a better draw down current.

Don't buy it from a bike shop.

Shop around. I not convinced there is any difference between brands so IMO buy the cheapest you can find. In Sydney I could tell you exactly where to get it, but Melbourne....

$300 if you get an expensive one from a bike shop $70 from a cheap battery place.

3. I purchased a batt for my CBR in Jan $70 from Frankston Yamaha
    My old batt just died, was the original one.

Chargers from kmart and alikes are around $20-$40 borrow one form a mate if you can. But check to see if it needs topping up, because you can charge it and it will happen time and time again.

4. Hey Es,

Batteries do die over time, and all batteries lose berries when it gets cold... so if you have an old cold battery... it may not even be able to turn over the engine... especially a cold engine.

Also, older bikes means older more worn out alternators, which could mean less charging... easy enough to check... WHEN you get the bike running -put a volt meter over the battery. You should have 13+ volts. If not... well... it's workshop time.

Let us know how you go. :)

Cheers

Rob

5. Hey dont forget about the rectifer pack... these frequently go south and take the electrical system with them...

I was going throug the bad battery cycle and stuffed alternator ideas a while ago... if your bike is fitted with one its usualy the second or the first thing to go after a battery.

small coil rewinds should be able to help... In the end I got a near new rectifer pack for my bike off ebay UK...

6. First charge battery up. With a battery charger.

Push start steps are :-

Put bike in 2nd gear.
    Pull in clutch.
    Roll bike down hill or otherwise until up to 20km/h.
    Let out clutch.

If it starts then, it's a battery problem.

Otherwise, it's an electrical problem of some sort.

Use the following guide to track it down.

http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_fault_finding.html

7. with push starting, you press the starter too right?

Im hopefully bribing matt232 for his charger, but will check out the water thing too. I hope its just the battery :(

8. Nah don't push the button es...

Just get it in neutral, jump on, push it down the street, once you got some momentum kick it into first with no clutch, thats how i start mine up each mornin right now ;)

If its not going to go in first, you might have to get it rolling so you can get it into second (stoopid positive neutral finder). Just push it agian in neutral and start trying to change to second (it will only work while rolling). Might be better to get someone else to help push at this stage coz youll be real puffed ;)

9. roll starts always best in 2nd... 1st gear always konks out... (well, not always, but y'know)... something about the compression... or something (i was once told)

get it rolling with clutch in, and in 2nd gear ... (if it's cold u need a bit more speed as doesn't fire as easily)... once u got a little bit of speed, let the clutch out... (little bit of speed = enough to get ur feet on pegs maybe?)

i have charger... in fact... i just stole it from my dads place today :)

stole = "borrowed"

10. Definitely use the clutch. If your hill is long enough or your muscles have enough endurance, or you have enough friends push, you can try either the 1st or 2nd gear option.

What Spongesam said, except... Ignition on! AND if you don't have friends or a hill, run beside the bike pushing it up to any speed, jump on and release the clutch as your weight comes onto the seat [weight helps with the rear traction]. It should burst to life.

Good luck!

Rob

11. BTW, after you do one or two push starts, you'll have it down to a fine art.

(I've had to do about a dozen in the last month with the monster, still trying to work out what her electrical gremlins are :( )

12. I can do mine with a broken foot :cool:

:p

13. You can use my charger if you want, the battery might just be on it's way out but the charger should help.

Pm me if you want it.

14. Use a charger that charges at roughly 0.1x the amp-hour capacity of your battery.

Typical Motorcycle Batteries will be in the 6 to 12 amp/hour range. The larger batteries for big motorcycles will range from 12 to 32 amp/hours.

So if you had a 12Amp battery, put it on a 1.2Amp (1200mA) Charger.
    12/10 = 1.2
    Or, a 10 Amp Battery would be best charged on a 1.0Amp (1000mA) Charger, and so on.
    10/10 = 1

This is a general guide to prevent cooking your battery and ruining it, but then again if it's on it's way out... :?

Hope this helps you choose the right one if you decide to buy a battery charger, they are handy to have.
    Good Luck :grin:

15. Well I topped up the water and put it on charger for a few hours and now its starting fine :) thanks all!

BUT

now theres a severe grinding noise coming from the front end. It developed overnight.
    maybe my break pads have something stuck on them or are worn down? how can I check? What else could it be?
    Im really reluctent to fiddle with the brakes when i have no idea what Im doing :LOL:

16. It's a Ducati???? :p

17. Stick your head down close to the wheel & look back at the brake calipers. Have to get either slightly above or below them & you should be able to get an end on view of the brake pads. If there is any less than about 1.5-2mm of lining on them then go get some newies.

18. ... Or you could remove the plastic service cover on the caliper and just look in the back of the caliper to check for the pad wear.

If it came on suddenly, and it's happened recently during all the lousy weather then i'd say it's probably just dirt or grit in the caliper or on the rotor. Get some brake cleaner and give it a good squirt, or if your too cheap go to a servo and get the compressed air for the tyres then give it a good ole blast at and around the caliper. You might be surprised as to how much brake dust you've got stored up in there if you don't clean it often.

PS. Brakes are very very simple things, so no need to be afraid of them.

19. That is if there is an inspection cover in the first place. Yes I agree, brakes are very simple in principle, but if you don't know what you are doing & are not mechanically inclined (being female does not bode well here) you can get yourself in a whole world of trouble. I would err on the "frightened of them" side here & get someone with a clue to check them out.
    Not that being female & not having a clue are part & parcel mind you. I didn't say that. Not me. No way.

20. Try squirting them with a hose at high pressure first though. There may be something lodged in there that you can get out. Fine dust from your brake pads can cause it sometimes.

or

Either your pads are down to the brass wear indicators or you have a warped caliper.

Either way, you need to pull the calipers off to have a look.