Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Griff the Invisible

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ljiljan, Mar 9, 2011.

1. My girlfriend managed to score some free tickets to the australian premiere off a highly connected friend of hers who couldn't make it. It was held at randwick ritz cinema which is just about my favourite cinema - cheap but not tacky, well priced, doesn't have cockroaches pouring out cracks in the walls and doesn't pretend to be anything more than a cinema, unlike some others.

Anyway, considering the location for the premiere I wasn't expecting much from it. The movie is Australian written, acted, shot and produced, and like most Australian movies I was expecting a low budget with a D list cast and a tacky script with poor filmography and production. Sitting down waiting for the movie to start I got a bad case of four-oclock-itis, we sat down at seven, had been there for ten minutes and it didn't look like starting for at least another ten. Sure enough down came the eyelids and I came to at some point in the movie, could have been 15 or 20 min, maybe even half an hour in, really don't know.

The movie is about a Griff, who is 28, works in an office job yet still hasn't lost his childhood "imagination world". In his own world he is a superhero, who fights against the thing out there. Its reasonably funny with it's fair share of laughs. The producer was saying that in the other premieres in parts they were expecting laughs they just got nothing, but I guess that's australian humour for you.

The script is - well there's no other word for it really - it's cheesy. It varies from somewhat cheesy to very cheesy. The sets and production are not hollywood quality which I didn't expect them to be and I'm glad they weren't because I think it would make the movie a lot more sterile. It was mainly shot in sydney and Surry Hills and Haymarket/ultimo locals should have no trouble recognising key locations.

The producers were trying to push it as a story of love, which it's really not. It's a comedy with an underlying rom-com subplot, but don't go thinking hugh grant and julia roberts because it's not. It querky, and proper quirky at that - the girl is a scientist, well she considers herself a scientist and is a bit wacky.

All in all, it's a very enjoyable film. Don't go expecting to be blown away Spielberg/Lucas style, because you wont be. Yes it is low budget, but why should that be an issue if it's entertaining? It's a fun feel good movie, one that is worth dropping the kids off at the babysitters and taking the wife out to dinner beforehand. In my opinion it's certainly worth watching.

I believe its out for regular viewing from Thursday 17th march. enjoy.
  2. I don't get it, was it good because you slept through half of it or because you were awake for half???

Nah Jokes, thanks for the review.
  3. i'll look out for it - thanks! :)

4. well, at least they are not talking in american accents!

i'll give it a go.