Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Grey imports

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by powinc, Jul 29, 2008.

1. I'm looking at CB250F Hornet (grey Import). But what does grey import mean?
    Are they imported from Japan?
    For what reasons, pehaps they have more power?

2. 'Grey import' simply means that the bike or that model was not brought into the country by the official Honda Dealer Network, but was privately imported. All 250 Hornets are grey imports; the 600 model was an official import.

Power is not an issue, because there are no official models with which to compare the ones available in the market.

There were heaps of 250 Hornets brought into Australia, and there's a pretty good spares market too, plus many of the parts are interchangeable with the bigger model for which all spares are available.

check out www.hondahornet.co.uk for the Hornet Bible.....

3.  Top
  4. Good post. :)

I would however question this.
    Most of the bikes in question have propably only had 2-3 years worth of riding before the increasing registration costs in Japan became too much to justify the owner keeping it. From then on, it has sat in a holding yard. In addition, Japan is a highly conjested country made of islands that have a far smaller area than Australia. They never had to cover the long distances that we consider normal so the km's don't pile up.

Sitting idle in a holding yard is also damaging to the bike. It's better often to have higher km than fewer on the odometer. Given these reasons, in many cases I'd suggest the milage is genuine. If I've put 28,000km on my bike in 22 months then 15-20 for a japanese bike in the same time wouldn't be unrealistic. :)

5. Very good read.

I am glad that my bike a grey 250 bandit has been in the country since 1997. Means that it's had enough time to fail in the hands of an aussie owner before I got it.

6. Yeah this whole universal winding back the clock is a furphy. The penalties for it, like here, are not worth it. This is their livelihood, they wouldn't risk it by winding the odo back a few thousand k's. Unless its some Japanese conspiracy where every exporter winds back the k's on all cars and bikes leaving the country.... :LOL:

7. Yeah, only time where you may get incorrect odometer readings is when you have an import that's been assembled from parts - ie the frame may have done 25,000kms but the engine in it may have done more or even less.
    High mileages aren't common in Japan, not when you have monsoonal rains or snow for much of the year, very effective public transport and severe restrictions on vehicle ownership and parking. Not to mention the fact they also have a maximum speed limit of just 80kph.
    Simply spending a few minutes on any Japanese used bike website will confirm this - something the writer of that article probably should have done before assuming low mileages must be false.

8. Folks pretty much answered everything. Thought I'd like to add one thing here:
    IMO, gray imports from Japan aren't that desirable when it comes to the power-aspect. Japanese laws limit their bike to certain hp limits depending on the engine size.

For smaller classes, this didn't really matter so much except for the small group of real performers (NSRs, NC30/35s, etc), but for something like the liter-class bikes, there's only a 100hp limit, so it's not uncommon for a Japanese person to re-import their export versions of their bikes to get the full-powered version.

9. Are there a good spare market for the hornet 250? I'm having trouble finding a radiator fan at the moment lol