Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Grey Imports CBR250RR

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by picorat, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Hi,

Just got my cert. of competence today, and i went around for a quick look at bikes.

What's up with grey imports? Some dealers seem to be using it as a selling point for the CBR250RR; but when quizzed on why it might be better, no solid reasons were really given. one went as far as to say that parts are easier to find but later admitted they were pretty much all the same. Another said that with the proper ones, you know for sure the date of manufacture. But wouldn't grey imports have the date of manufacture on the compliance plate as well?

One dealer mentioned that all kawasakis zxr are all greys, is that true? There dosen't seem to be many zxrs listed in the trading post.... l

lastly, any other recommendations for learner legal sports bikes?

2. A grey market import is worth less generally than an oz import of the same age and condition which can make them an attractive purchase.

Be aware that some parts may be different and hard to get (yamaha australia have a policy of helping grey market owners though so it isn't as much of an issue there).

Also some insurance companies will decline to insure a grey market bike (if they know it is grey market).

If you are looking at buying one, then try and stick to the ones that were also imported by the oz sellers (less hassles that way).
  3. One of the advantages of a grey import over a domestic bike of a similar age is the amount of work done in getting the bike complianced. Often grey imports will have had the plastic bodywork replaced/resprayed, new tyres, new brake pads/fluid etc which may make them in better condition than an Aus delivered bike that hasn't been touched for many years. Most imports should still have a factory plate somewhere giving the original date of manufacture as well as a compliance plate giving the date it was imported into the country.
  4. Often the importers will claim

"they have had the plastic bodywork replaced/resprayed, new tyres, new brake pads/fluid etc which may make them in better condition than an Aus delivered bike that hasn't been touched for many years."

That doesn't make it true in all cases (although some are good.... some are also bad).

The only real way to tell is to get an independant mechanical condition report done on a bike. Either by an experienced person you know, or another mechanic.
  5. The above mentioned "work done" has NOTHING to do with compliancing. If all those parts were changed/ re-newed/ replaced...the bikes's been sliding down the road or was in bad nick in the first place !!

NO, the only thing left are the factory-numbers stencilled into the headstem-neck. Many countries don't require compliance plates. After AUS compliance the bike has to have a plate riveted to the frame somewhere, which lists the name of the IMPORTER/ the month/year of the compliance and a tiny month/ year stencil of the manufacturing date on the same VIN plate. The AUS plate doesn't even state when the bike was imported, ONLY when it was complianced.
  6. The ADRs on an import bike relate to noise (exhaust), brakes and lighting (Japanese bikes typically only run 35W headlights) and as such all these components need to be in good condition to pass (brake fluid must be of a known and approved type hence it is replaced). Plastic work is generally replaced/resprayed since the majority of Japanese bikes are not stored under cover and are usually faded. Tyres will be replaced if the existing ones are unroadworthy or to make the bike appear "newer" so that it might sell for a higher proce. Glitch_oz, my import does have a manufacturers plate fitted, ok others might not but by your own admission bikes will still have the build date AND compliance date marked on them somewhere.
  7. More a measure of the importer to flog at higher$, not for compliance.

Standard RWC item

Yes to both, both on Importers/ Compliancers VIN-plate.
    Problem is that quite a few importers buy up all sorts of crap overseas through buying agents or contractors, then open a frequently changing "backdoor" business which takes care of the compliancing part, then push out the "ADR-complianced" bikes out the front door, selling them as ***2001-model/ whatever sounds good*** " and doesn't it look good?" or...."yeah, all that was done as part of the compliancing, it's legal requirement, you know..."
    Some glitz and glamour, a half-shonky in-house RWC and an extra $1000 profit.
    There are some good ones amongst any lot...but you've got to know your stuff to pick them.
  8. picorat, i have a genuine aust. import cbr250rr which i paid $5300 4months ago. and to tell you the truth, they're pretty much identical to an import one.... if your willing to shop around u should be able to get one (import) about $4000ish.

if i had to buy another one, i would have bought an import and saved the $$$, plus Cbr's hold their value well so u should be able to sell it in a year for roughly the same price! 8)

oh yeah, i would recommend you dont buy from a dealer cos they're charging a premium for the cbr's upto $7k!!! for a 250! :p