Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

grey import

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by cOS, Aug 15, 2006.

1. what is the problem associated with grey imports other than insurance?

2. Parts maybe hard to get. May have to wait long to get from overseas.

3. - Unknown bike history (stolen overseas? thrashed? rebirthed?)
    - Unknown kilometres (new dash cluster? wound back?)

4. Really the problems you might find on a grey import are nothing that you couldn't get on an officially delivered bike of a similar age. I mean why is there the assumption that all grey's have had their speedos wound back or are repaired wrecks but this never happens if a bike was originally sold here. As for parts that's going to depend on what model you're looking at - in some cases parts for greys can actually be far easier to find than some less popular models that were sold here officially. Best advice would be to not assume anything, make sure you thoroughly check (or have checked) any 2nd hand bike grey or otherwise before buying. All bikes can have hidden problems.

5. I knew a guy who had a Sumoto (YUK!) grey import CBR250R. When he dropped it, he had a nightmare time trying to replace some of the parts as they are not exactly the same as the Australian imports. I'm sure I remember that the clutch cable was different, too.