Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Greg from Brisbane, looking for advice

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Greggy86, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Hey everyone,

My name is Greg and I live in Brisbane. I am very new to motorcycling, but it's something I have always wanted to be part of. I have only recently received my L's and have done 1 day of my Q-Ride course, and I actually came across this site from booking the second day of my course. After reading a few of the posts on here, I couldn't help myself and had to be part of this community.

Currently, I don't own a bike, purely because I'm not 100% sure on what I should get. The bike I have always wanted is a Triumph Bonneville. Unfortunately it's not a LAMS, and legally, I wouldn't be able to ride it. So I would like to ask you guys and girls for some advice on a first bike. To help you all out a bit, I like the styling of classics such as the Bonnie, I'm really not a fan of sport bikes, I'm over 6 feet tall and I would like to do some highway riding too.

Thanks guys, look forward to checking this site regularly.

- Greg
  2. Welcome, if the budget allows have a look at the Honda CB400, great bike and a classic look to boot.
  3. Welcome Greg.

Agree with McsennaMcsenna the CB400 is a great bike, modern performance in a classic '70s Japanese shape.

If you're after a more Brit style, there's also the Kawasaki W650 and Royal Enfield Continental GT.

Suzuki TU250X is also an option.
  4. Being over 6 foot, I would sit on a few bike to see what fits you for comfort.
  5. welcome aboard :]
  6. Awesome suggestions, thank you!
    • Like Like x 1

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Welcome to the forum. There are some great suggestions here but if you like the retro look maybe the Yamaha SR400 is worth a look? I think they are new and I am not sure what your budget is like but imho they are a pretty cool looking bike. Link Here
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yeah SR400 is worth a look but getting a bit pricey for what it is. It's not so much a "retro" bike as an old bike that they've never stopped building. From that perspective it's pretty ridiculous the amount they're asking for it new. You almost may as well get a Deus.
  10. I do like Yamaha, and I have read nothing but good reviews about the MT-07, but it's hardly Bonnie styled bike, I guess it comes to riding different bikes and finding what feels best, and even though I'm not a fan of sport bikes the MT-07 is something worth looking at.
  11. Yeah, it totally looks the goods, and from what I understand it comes from one of the better quality manufacturers. I hardly think it's worth what they're asking for it though. I'm still gonna take one for a ride though haha
  12. #15 CraigA, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    Closest thing I can think of in LAMS bikes to a bonnie would be a Suzuki TU250. Not sure whether or not they are actually any good or not, but its the look you are after.

Other than that, have you sussed out a Suzuki GS500? Pretty reliable work horse type of bike.
    http://www.bikesales.com.au/private/SSE-AD-3028388/2008-Suzuki-GS500?cr=6&psq:-(BikeAll=keyword[lams]&((((SiloType=[Dealer used bikes]|SiloType=[Demo & near new bikes])|SiloType=[Private used bikes])&Service=[Bikesales])&(Make=[Suzuki]&Model=[GS500])))&pso=0&pss:premium

Its not quite Bonnie retro, but similar styling to a CB400 kind of.

Having said all of that, I'd take the MT-07. They are supposed to be a very capable bike that would be great to learn on for a bloke your size looking to do HWY klms.