Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Greetings netriders

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by AngryAnt, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Hey all,

another noob here, male 43 Melbourne. Had only ever ridden scooters in Indonesia before and thought it was time to take the plunge into real bikes before I get too old. I gave myself a hard lesson in Bali about six years ago, got on a scooter, forgot to release the throttle, brake or steer and scraped my arm along about 6 foot of cinderblock wall. Ouch. I've also nearly ridden into a river and had a scooter toss me off by again, too much throttle and then a hard turn to avoid a parked bus. Oh well, live and learn. Recently got my L's through Deca in Altona but big ups to Damo at Carrum Downs who gave me my first lesson in the intro course.

I'm currently searching for my first bike, was tempted by Hyosung and the like at first but have now narrowed it down to naked Honda 250s like the VTR250 and CBF250s. I like the VTR250 better but am tempted to go cheaper and nastier on the grounds I'll probably upgrade anyway soon. CBF250s seem to plentiful and cheap secondhand, tested one today (private) that seemed OK, 2008 with about 14k on it, asking $3300 but they are desperate to sell so I'll try to knock a grand off it ;-)

Anyway, great forum, I've done a fair bit of reading in the last week or so and already picked up some pointers.

2. Welcome Anto. What part of Melbourne are you in?
  3. welcome mate
  4. Welcome on board Anto. If you're a big bloke the bikes on your shortlist may be a bit too small but if you're average size then they will be perfect. Happy riding.
  5. Thanks guys. I'm in Newport.

@ResmeN I'm 5'7", 77kg, so these bikes should be ok height wise. Although sitting on a large bike still intimidates me a little as I'm used to scooters, I already get the feeling that I'll want the extra size and power after a couple of months! Suggestions welcome.
  6. Happy riding indeed, and welcome to the bizarre and sometimes amusing pool of Netriders :LOL:
  7. Hi Anto and welcome to NR
  8. Welcome to NR :D
  9. Welcome aboard!
  10. Update: bought my bike! Ended up going for a '98 Yamaha FZX250 Zeal - although old it's fairly well preserved and ran really well. Just felt better, smoother, stronger (and faster) than the CBF250s I tried and a good price!

Bad news is I don't take delivery until Saturday as it's booked in for a road worthy and service Friday.
  11. ah delays, delays :evil:

what's the weather forecast for Saturday :LOL:???
  12. Move your rwc to saturday, congrats and just ride it like you mean it.
  13. Congrats on the new bike and welcome to NR
  14. Welcome to Netrider, antoman !
    Enjoy the new beast (y)
  15. Thanks guys. I'll post pics once the bike is in my sweaty, eager hands.
  16. Welcome antoman. And congrats on the new machine.
    Enjoy the ride!
  17. Welcome mate. Hey you waited 25 odd years to start riding motorcycles, what's another couple of days..;) Enjoy the Forum.
  18. Can't... hold... on... any... longer....
  19. welcome aboard! Make sure you check out some of the events in the Melbourne area (Saturday morning with Doug are a great place to start). Look forward to meeting you.