Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Greetings from Townsville!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by ShortyM, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Hi all.

Come across these forums from a thread over at Whirlpool, so I thought I would join the community if you would be so kind to have me.

I haven't been riding too long. I have had my learners for many years, but due to circumstances I was only able to finally start riding mid last year. Was riding a humble Honda CB125E for about 9 months, and just recently traded it in on my current chariot, a Suzuki Gladius. I am absolutely loving this machine. Am still on my RE class license until late August at which point I will be derestricting my bike.

Anyway, I look forward to spending quite a bit of time here for the foreseeable future. I'll see you around on the forums.
  2. Welcome mate.

Good to see another NQ'der, and a fellow Gladius'r to boot.
  3. Thank you Sir.

Assuming that your Profile pic is your vessel, I can see that it has an aftermarket exhaust, so that in turn leads me to believe that it is R class and not restricted.

Have you modded it in other ways, or just the exhaust?
  4. It's the LAMS version mate. May or may not be de restricted.

Few things done to mine, not so much for performance but aesthetics and sound.
    Dan Moto can, Leo Vince Headers, Renthal Bars, Rosmoto rear sets, Bar end mirrors, home made rear cowl, shorty levers.

5. welcome aboard :]
  6. Welcome Shorty, good to see another NQer. We are off RE at about the same time by the looks of it (mid August for me).
  7. Thanks for the warm welcome gents.

I am very much looking forward to the time when I can tap into the full awesomeness of the Gladius.

I stand correct WD lol. I don't really feel like I want to do too much to mine when I derestrict it. All I am going to do at this stage is get the unlocked ECU put in, and get it tuned. Our local Suzuki dealership here has a dyno, so I'll get them to tune it up to run on 95RON. I am open to suggestions, but I don't want to go silly.
  8. Don't waste you money with an ECU change bud. All you have to do is pull a pin out of the harness and off you go at full power. Can confirm it works.
    And not much to be gained with a tune from what I've read, unless you change your exhaust and filter, and then it becomes necessary to clean up the AFRs. The power gain is negligible. :sour:

I've left my standard filter in mine, but with the full exhaust it runs a little rich. It crackles and pops on overrun, but the guys down at Future sport tell me it's running fine.
  9. Yep, Suzuki ECU restricted LAMS bikes only require removal of a wire to de-restrict.
  10. Really? In that case it might be worth dropping a switch on the line.

While a power boost would have been nice, I would be happy with better fuel economy. I am not the most mechanically minded so this may not be feasible without other mechanical mods.
  11. I see the benefits of putting a switch on it. Be great to have two tunes, LAMs for wet weather and full power for... the rest of the time.
    But for me I didn't want to hack my wiring. I can simply re-plug the pin back into the harness and no one would know any better.
    I did consider making an 'extension wire' with a switch on it, but couldn't be arsed if I'm honest.

You know, if I did actually de-restrict my bike... :angelic:

As for fuel economy, the V-twin 650 is already a pretty frugal donk. I average under 5s on my daily commute, and just under 4s on the highway. Didn't notice any change when I fitted the exhaust, even though it appears to run richer.

I guess, coming from a CB125, the SFV must drink like a fish?? :hilarious:
  12. Not really to be honest. I have only had it a month, so it's yet to be really broken in. But at this early stage it seems to be running quite similar to the Honda.

Do you run yours on 98 RON? I have heard that some bikes don't like it.