Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Greetings from Sydney

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by ZaneHT, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Hey all, just a quick intro, I'm Naz, an ex-pat now settled in Aus.

About a year ago decided I wanted to get a bike (probably a mid-life moment). Initially did not get on too well (I think a bit of a shock from the tank-like safety of a 4x4 to a bike), but now am loving my ride each morning. Ride a Kawasaki GPX 250.

Best | Naz
  2. Welcome to NR, great choice of learner bike.(y)
  3. Thank you sir - completely stumbled on the forum searching for advise on the MOST test.

I loved the GPX from the moment I sat on her, such a joy to ride. I'm going for Ps (round 2) soon so will have a tough decision on what to get next. Riding position is so good on the GPX, only reason to upgrade would be a bit more grunt. GPX big brother is the Ninja I guess, but I don't hear good things on the riding position over longer commutes...

Best | Naz
  4. My advice would be to stay with the little two fiddy till you get onto your open licence, then shop around and sit on and ride as many bikes as you possibly can before deciding, all the ninja range with the exception of the 650 Ninja have quite extreme supersport seating and ergonomics, great bikes but not for everybody.
  5. Welcome Naz, how did you crap up your first attempt, which obstacle lost you the points?
  6. The right and U turn killed me, I put a boot down and crossed a line. Missing a couple of headchecks was the dumbest part though - those damn bloody head checks! Got past the 3rd part of the test, but missing another headcheck took me to 9 points so burned.

To be honest I never realised the foot down was poor bike control and bad riding, as we never touched on the subject in the Ls course and I'd never ridden with other riders. I've been riding this past year on my Ls and I got into the habit of dropping both boots at lights or when going slow. Wasn't until the morning of the test that the instructor went through friction zone slow speed riding and how bad a boot down was.

All that said the instructor at HARTS was ace and helped correct a lot of the bad habits I've picked up, so I've been trying to put it all into practice on my daily commute.
  7. You damn fool with the head checks, they constantly stress that! Absolutely check every single time, this isn't for the test this could prevent you from being flattened one day.

Did you do the test using your GPX 250 or one of their bikes? The HART (St Ives) I did mine at had Honda VTR250s for rental for the day (around $70/day iirc), they're upright, have small turning circles and are very nimble to flick around, not sure if you want to go down that path when trying your next attempt, just something to consider.

Wipe the slate clean and start from the very basics again, don't let those bad habits to continue to taint you, start slow and practice over and over. Get some empty cans and find a place and practice the MOST test.

As for the U turn, as you enter the box, snap your chin so it touches your right shoulder, move your butt a little off the to the left, feather the clutch, light but constant touch on the rear brake, and roll the throttle smoothly all the way through. Keep at it it's not hard once you get the hang of it.

Report back your result!
  8. Haha - Damn fool in-bloody-deed - in my defence though, on the road I headcheck all the damn time; setting off, changing lanes at lights, but something about being off the road and in stressed test conditions - and I blew the headchecks - idiot! Instructor said I was close if not for damn headchecks.

Yep did mine at HART also, I used one of their VTRs but the my feathering control was so rough that the boot came down mid turn. I'm going to try with my GPX on the practice session this Thursday at HART and then will go from there. Although I don't think the turning circle on the GPX is going to do me any favours, but my feather control is much better on the bike as I've been riding it for about 9 months now.

Been practising in the evening at Chatswood industrial estate, a mate of mine passed his Ps a while back and he had the set full kit - tape measure spool, witch hats and cut tennis balls. Just about made the U last night will try your snap head and butt shift and see if that improves the success rate. Any tips for the cone weave?
  9. What's the Chatswood industrial estate, is that past Willoughby Bunnings up the little hill left at the open car park? I was going to suggest small traffic cones as I got a dozen but didn't think you'd want to bother with buying so it's great that your mate has them.

If you screwed up on their VTR250 then I can't help you cos I passed on them :p I did lose a point on the cone weave with a foot down, you didn't mention it so I assume you didn't have any issues with it but that would have been weird because it demanded the most slow speed control.

I found it easier to practice without the cones to begin with, practice swerving left and right with consistent distances between each intervals (car park dividers are great for this), then gradually shorten this distance. I think the lack of physical objects which to avoid takes that concern out of your head.

When it comes to actually doing it, set the cones further and gradually bring them closer, heads up and look ahead, don't look at the cones because you will foot down. Don't move around the cones any more than what you need to. That's it really, and practice away.
  10. Yep, Chatswood Industrial Park exit is by Bunnings, entrance of Eastern Valley Way - has some nice flat space for practice and seems to be dead around 7 onward, so I can get a little local practice in rather than Olympic park. Good for anyone in North Shore looking for a spot to practice especially now the evening light is a little longer.

VTR was a great little bike, I'll see how my session goes this Thursday at HART and if it's not great then I may consider hiring for the actual test.

Cone weave I buggered up all through the practice, but by some fluke got through on the test. Tried practicing last night and murdered my cones!
  11. Yeah I've been to that place plenty of times, good for brushing up slow speed control stuff, been bothered a time or two by security petrol but otherwise it's been painless. I find Olympic Park is fantastic on early weekend mornings, apart from Dandelong strip, there's lots of wide roads to practice.

Same here with the cone weave, the best attempt I had was at the actual test, I actually took my cones there earlier tonight to try it out again, lined up 12 cones and my best attempt knocked over 2, so I would take my tips with a grain of salt :cautious:
  12. Well mate, I was there last night and tried your head snap and butt shift. Could not shift during ride so had to pre-shuffle as I setup to go into the box. But it worked a treat and I although a good amount still had a foot fall or out of bounds I managed a couple of perfect turns which left me chuffed - so thanks for the tip! :cool:

Cone weave was a disaster however :rolleyes:
  13. #13 Wil02, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    Before you enter the first cone go out to the left and enter from a wide position.

Enter just behind the first cone and always keep your eyes up beyond the last cone. Try not to focus on only the immediate cone in front of you.

Starting the first cone wide and entering just behind it gives you plenty of room for the 2nd and gets you into a good flow. Keep your eyes up.

Oh a d welcome btw :D
  14. Going wide on the first cone was the tip the instructor gave me at HART, but I always find myself fixated on the next cone (and how I'm not going to make it!), so will try your 'end cone' idea tonight and report back.

Thanks chaps!
  15. also keep your revs up, using a bit of clutch.
  16. Just finished a training session at HART this morning, few cone kills, but aced all four elements by the end of the hour session! Which I'm well chuffed at :happy:

The instructor was some kind of bike whisperer - so damn good.

Cone weave go wide, wide , even wider - I was aiming for about 2 meters to the left of the first cone, and it's all about the rhythm <#AsTheLadiesSay>.

Also for revs he said aim for north of 3,000 but under 5,000, this is when the bike will be at it's steadies (I assume this also depends on the bike, but for my GPX and his VTR it's where the magic happens).
  17. Nice work.
    • Like Like x 1