Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Greetings from Russia!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Hoyt, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Greetings from Russia!

After New Year holidays I’ll leave to study in Sidney for the period of 1 year. I cant live without sportbikes, so I want to ask a few questions for moto community, if u do not object :grin:

First of all, I plan to buy 2-3 years 600cc sportbike (I think that its cheaper then rent bike for all time), and after year, sell it. So, where it is better to search? In net, or in markets? Its could be damage (plastic), because anyway, I’ll make some changes for ring-races.

Then, what motodroms are near Sidney, how far are they and what prices for 1 track-day? Are any amateur competitions spend there?

What about twisty-roads in Australia? What police thinking about broken speed-limits, and are there any roads, where sportbikers could burn after work day? And what laws say about non-stock plastic on roads?

And 1 more stupid question. What about kangaroo? Is it really dangerous to ride in night and they could jump under the wheels? Sorry again, maybe you hate questions about it :shock:

Sorry for my grammar, thank you all and marry Christmas!

Gleb Hoyt CBR1000RR (from Moscow-under-the-snow)
  2. I am not sure but i think you will need to apply for an Australian License to ride here.

Also Kangaroos can be dangerous if you ride in the country and night.
  3. Hmm... maybe you r right, but my driver lecense (it is international) was accepted in all Europe and in USA without problems. But maybe its good only for tourists, not for students. Thank you, its better to check this porblem.
  4. I'll keep an eye on this thread, moving down to sydney myself in 3 weeks' time from Scotland.

I saw that bikes hold their value very well there and bikes generally do a lot more kilometres before they are written off, I guess this has something to do with the soft climate and vast distances between places?
  5. What's the big attraction with Sydney?????
  6. Yeah, I'd much prefer Melbourne :p

You are correct, just from Melbourne to Sydney it is 1200-1500km's (depending where you start and which roads you want to take) as most riders will want to a more in-direct route with twists, therefore adding on the km's too... And if your with Duccati riders you'll have to stop for a Latte every couple of hours too ;) :LOL:

ЗдравÑтвуй, Hoyt

I am not sure how the licence works, maybe find out from a travel agent over there?

Buying will be cheaper than renting for 1 year, and the best place I've found are on the net.

There are twisty roads all over Australia, but the Police are VERY strict about enforcing the law on speed (especially on the east side of Australia)

As snowball said you may have to watchout for Kangaroo's on country roads at times.

Merry Christmas and see you soon :)
  7. We all break speed limits, but do so knowing the cops are extremely strict on it and the penalties harsh. Don't get caught speeding. :wink:

Yes, kangaroos are shitheads. I bent a bike on a roo once. They're very big and strong annimals. They'll bust you and your bike then hop away as iff nothing had happened. On the bright side, they're easier to see than wombats. Wombats are bastards. :LOL: Best to avoid riding in country areas around sunrise and sunset as tha's when our wildlife is most active. However, if you're careful it's normally fine and you can find them at anytime of the day or night anyway. They're a hazard, but not a big enough hazard to stop you riding. :)

No shortage of twisty roads all over the Australian East coast so enjoy. :grin:
  8. Hi mate, I'll give your questions a go... Greetings from mother Australia!

As always, you will find a better deal privately but if you have any problems you will have to have them fixed yourself. If you buy from a dealer, you can return the bike and demand that they fix it. Most people advertise on the net nowdays..

To get an idea of prices, try http://www.tradingpost.com.au or http://www.bikepoint.com.au

I don't live in Sydney, but http://www.superbikeschool.com.au have track days at eastern creek listed from $169 to $229.

Again, don't live in Sydney but I'm sure there are twisties close to the city. The thing that you need to know though is that speed limits are strictly enforced. I'm not joking about this. When I was living in London, I would routinely travel on motorways at 85-95mph in a 70 zone and still have people passing me. You cannot do this in Australia. If I were you, I would find out when you need to change your license over and even if possible not change it at all. If you get a fine, you will have to pay it but the Australian police cannot take your international license. (Although they can ban you from using public roads in Australia, which is virtually the same thing).

I believe non-stock plastic is okay so long as you have indicators, mirrors and a headlight.

Around the main cities, you would be lucky to even see a kangaroo (except the ones everyone rides over the Sydney harbour bridge to work every morning, but they are trained Kangaroos). When you get outside of the city - you would have to ride for probably 2 hours - you may see the odd wild one. They are a problem (I've hit one before in a car), but so long as you don't ride around dawn/dusk and not in the country you probably won't ever see one. It doesn't enter most people's minds when riding as far as I know.

No problem Gleb, hope you have a great time while in Australia! I always wated to visit Moscow/St. Petersburg, but even from London it was going to be expensive. Think 1000 pounds for around 5 days - mostly on accomodation. I'd still love to go there one day though!
  9. International licence is good for a year... and you can buy a bike on one I think (I did it 10 yrs ago when I moved to Melbourne), but check with the RTA (Road Traffic Authority) in NSW, they are on the net. After a year you have to complete some kind of test and get an Australian licence, as you cannot (as far as I know) get an international licence issued except in your home country.

Sydney, in my experience, is not as strict on speeding fines and you do have warning of speed cameras - when I lived there there was no such thing as unmarked speed cameras in vehicles by the side of the road like there was in Melbourne.

Some bikes would have higher kms than you may be used to in the uk or Russia but others may not

Also found that it was a real advantage having a full licence from overseas as there is a definite learner/p plate premium paid for 250cc and below (less so in Sydney now that there learner system has changed but still there) and if you are licenced to ride a bigger bike you can sometimes pick up some good bargains.

Hope this helps, :)
  10. Well done booga!!! :LOL:

Hi Hoyt...How are things in Russia? Where in Russia are you from?

All the best with your move to Sydney! You'll have a great time over here! Have you been to Australia before?

Your written english/grammar is very good. A friend of mine came over from Russia when he was 21 to study (18 yrs ago)...he didn't speak much English which made things quite difficult for him. He succeeded though! And he's still here - living and working in Melbourne. :)

Have a great Christmas!

11. :LOL: Thats brilliant.

Hoyt, make a visit to the Australian Embassy. ( We do have an Embassy there dont we guys ? ) They should answer all your questions.
  12. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

fcukity fcuk!!!!!!!

It was me, I'm the guilty one :(

I accidentally deleted this users account.

I'll just be over there -----------> kicking my own arse :oops:

Where is that yellow button :(
  13. bit gun shy on the SPAM are we?? :LOL:
  14. :LOL: Vic.

Don't be messing with Russians. :eek: :twisted:

15. :rofl: :rofl: Seany, I honestly had to stifle my laughs (work) mayb it's the late nights, but seriously I've just got this visual of a Russian dude riding around freakin out "just incase" this kangaroo jumps out frm behind the bushes in ambush while a wildeyed wombat is just waiting behind the ropes as part of the Australian native wildlife tag team from hell! :LOL: :LOL:
    You shld tell em abt the possiums & those damn toads up north, neva can b too carefull!!! Hey mate.
  16. I've had arguments with most forms of Australian wildlife on the road. The cheeky shits are just looking for trouble, what with the kangaroo sniper attacks, wombat land mines and suicide lyrebirds! :shock:

If you survive all those bastards you'll most likely finish the ride, come to a stop and put your foot down on a brown snake! :shock: Snakes are probably the sneakiest, most devious bastards of the lot! Growing up in the Mallee it's a wonder any of us kids survived with the most common snake being the same colour as the dirt. They carfully check the tracks and position themselves in a turn/jump/bush they feel is most likely to result in a fall and wait for you to dump it. Cheeky buggers. :mad: On the bright side, my cat killed quite a few of them, was bitten 6 times (each followed by a high speed trip 50km trip to the vet) and lived to be 19. Wiskers was a gun snake catcher. :grin: Unfortunatly she was also responsible for the death of several Kookuburras, possums, magpies and even a small goanna but she started life as a feral and she was cute so you can't stay mad at her. :)

It's also worth noting that Australian widlife is not your only problem. For some reason the English (in all their wisdom) decided that we didn't have enough bastards here with the snakes, crocks and sharks etc... so they decided to give us bees and wasps. :? :shock: I guess they figured just in case the convicts survived, they could as least hurt them. :?

Come to Australia! All of our animals are pricks (even the koalas scratch you) but their so damn cute and adorable no-one seems to mind. :grin: :LOL:
  17. Yes come to Australia, come on down!
    If the wild life dnt get ya it's the *cough* impolite drivers that like to randomly check that their brakes are working, after which you'll be chking your tank for a very personal impression :shock:
    Or the very special people who obviously thought blinkers were an "optional extra" & never bothered to use LET ALONE look as to where they were going :mad: Oooh oooh oooh don't let me forget our beloved taxi drivers, who out of the goddness of their own hearts are trying their very best to "modify" their cabs with a new hood ornament in leather's (lets face it leather's are very sexy) I'm sure they feel it'll help them "pimp their ride" :cool:

So maybe riding off the beaten track is safer afterall, "it is a jungle out there"
  18. So policing is that bad ey?

I've been living in heaven for the last year in scotland with no cameras whatsoever, will have to get used to slow down. Is it only police in the cities or also on rural roads?

Ok, so wildlife is something to keep an eye out for, do I need to check my boots for snakes every time I get them on as well?

And the question about why sydney - for foreigners it's the obvious place to go to, but that doesn't mean that you have to stay there.

I was thinking myself about buying a $7-10 grand bike and either do a proper lap of australia (all the way round, but struggling with boring bits - long distances, no petrol/water) or go up all the way the east coast and then head down south again... untill I'm at the track on philip island.

Any thoughts?
  19. Rural also, & there meanier then the city coppers, any excuse to pull you over & will.

Not only do you need to check for snakes in boots ,but you also need to check, helmet, gloves, jacket for spiders. Cant forget the spiders, & there some real nasty ones.