Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Greetings from (almost) new rider

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Woodoo, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Well, Hi everyone.

I am about to do the learner's course in a couple of weeks, and am already looking at buying a bike. Some of the main points that attracted me to bikes are my previous experiences on a old 100cc dirt bike, and the convenience for city and short trip use.

As much as I would love to get a bike, the one thing that has been bothering me is that almost everyone that I have spoken to tries their hardest to talk me out of it (apart from other riders of course). I know bikes can be dangerous, but is it really certain doom like so many people assure me?

2. Welcome Woodoo :LOL:

Everyone is trying to talk you out of it are they? But the riders talk you into it. I have been riding for only 4-5 months now, what I have learnt most is to pay attention at all times. Dont let yourself lose concentration. You have to be constantly looking out for hazards and other motorists.

I've had a few close ones. But you learn from your mistakes and become a better rider from what you learn/

Everyone was talking me out of it friends, family etc. I was hooked since I got to be a passenger on a Yamaha GT80. And from then on watching Mick Doohan winning Motogp :wink:

Many people will talk you out of it they are just trying to keep you "safe". But just do it man. What have you got to lose? Just concentrate take it easy and your fine..

3. Don't kid yourself, it's dangerous and you'll probably get hurt. Just about everyone crashes, it's just a matter of how badly they get hurt. Most walk away, many break bones, some are permanently crippled, and some die. If you can deal with that, c'mon in, the water's fine!
  4. Next time I wanna try something I am weary about, or need that 'extra' confidence boost .. I'll talk to you Loz. :LOL: :LOL:
  5. No point avoiding the issue, is there? If safety is your highest priority, motorcycles are a stupid choice. Once you've been riding a certain number of years, your chances of crashing do come down, but it's still a bloody dangerous mode of transport.

That's the reality, if it puts people off, then better they found out about it before they spent a whole bunch of money, eh? Me, I like the danger part. Danger is my middle name, in fact.

6. Woodoo, you're getting the grief because either:

* people think your temperament and a MC don't mix,
    * you're already a risky kind of guy and crashing/death will be inevitable,
    * they have no clue about bikes,
    * prefer a life wrapped in cotton wool,
    * can't bear to live without you, or
    * don't trust their own driving or others driving and require a metal cage at all times for protection.

There are risks - Loz is right, but many can be managed. Refer to the "beating the odds" link in my sig.

Riding or not is your choice. Do the learner course and see what you think.

FWIW, I've gotten off the bike, utterly shagged and stuffed, ready to curl up in the phoetal position with tiredness, fatigue and pain... and have been happy to do it all over again the next morning.

It gets in ya blood... there is no decision to be made at all... except the destination!
  7. yeah mate do a riding course first, and see how you feel, if you like it, go for it, personally. nothing beats riding a bike.. cept for mabye... actually nah, bikes are the best :D

people die in car accidents as well remember... and crossing the road, and walking down stairs etc. if we all lived in fear none of us would have any fun. yes there are dangers and you must be awake but a clever alert rider will be able to avoid most things that come their way, and if there is a collision, know how to minimize the damage by safe positioning of your bike, swervng emergency braking etc.
  8. Thanks for all the replies.

I must say that I am really looking forward to the learner course, it will be good to get back onto a bike after a few years (outgrew the RT100). Riding around paddocks and in bush tracks was always awesome fun.

I would say that I will just see how I feel after the course, but I know that once I get my learner's I will probably be itching to get a bike.