Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Greetings and so on.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by excalibur, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Hi there

I'm excal, I'm not yet a bike owner, but have finally decided to take the plunge into motorcycling after many (about 7) years since the thought first crossed my mind of becoming a rider. Partly to blame is a mate that has a 1956 AJS shaped jigsaw puzzle in garage... It was whole when he bought it, then he did something stupid and seized the gearbox on it.

The obligatory "About me:" I'm 26, live in Sydney, work as a stage manager/backline guy for bands, and like am also a guitar player.

I'm looking to pick myself up what I'm calling a "Grandpa bike." Something like a Royal Enfield, AJS, old Triumph, old Moto Guzzi or even a Yamaha SR, that kind of thing. I don't want to go a million miles an hour, I want something to get me around, something to tinker with, something I can modify without a computer, just some spanners, and something that's a little out of the ordinary. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Welcome to Netrider, Excal! Nothing wrong with "Grandpa" bikes, they're pretty rockin'.
  3. Howdy! Come along to the Homebush Saturday learner sessions!