Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Greenslip Cost - Bike vs Car

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Gustlik, Jan 24, 2008.

1. If you cause an accident your Greenslip covers medical costs for your passengers, other road users, such as drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists, motor cyclists and pillion passengers. It does not cover you for your personal injuries if you cause the accident, damage to property or other vehicles.

Why is it that a Greenslip for a motorbike is roughly $100 more expensive then a Greenslip for a car?*

*Bike over 300cc

If a Greenslip covers you for the above I do not understand this.

A car in the event of an accident is more likely to injure a person in the most common scenario eg. Collision with another car. A bike in the same situation is going to get creamed. 200kg vs 1700kg. The rider will end up the worse for wear - for which the Greenslip does not cover you.

So why should it be more expensive?

Is the problem here the over 300cc bracket and the rash behavior of some litre bike riders?

2. Don't worry, mate.

No-one understands it.
    Statistically it is a giant crock of shit - the insurance industry is a monopolised whore.

Read this thread to find out just how outraged you should be about this ;)
  3. Because the system was devised by a government that said "deregulating the industry will reduce premiums". And then premiums went up by 5-15% per year from then on. No regulation means they can charge what they want on whatever they want.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. i think our t a c in victoria works the same way covers passegers and others including driver of other vechile so if two vechiles are involved both drivers or riders are covered but in single vechile accidents only the passenger is covered this is how it used to be but could have changed
  5. Except the government regulates it and runs it down there, meaning prices are caped, and everyone shares teh financial burden.

Regards, Andrew.
  6. This is incorrect, we have a NO fault system here, even if you are in a single vehicle accident, you are covered.

Alli had an off on a trip we went away on in Nov 2006, didn't return to work until march or april 07, all of her expenses and wages were covered.
  7. and doesnt it hurt when your bike nudges over the age of 12 yrs.. :evil:
    ..in NSW that is.
    last year my old XR600 went from $380ish to $620 for her green slip cos she turned 12..
  8. It sux big time just rego'd the tin can and the green slip cost around the $400(ALLIANZ) mark. The GSXR1100 will cost me $368 (GIO).
    If you or a member of your family has an accident that you were at fault then it effectively doubles your greenslip with a certain insurance company. Shopping around for a greenslip has saved me at least $300 for the bike and $400 for the can.
  9. That's right Caz. I'm currently off work and receiving wages and expenses and mine was a single vehicle accident.