Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Green Electricity transformer boxes - ownership?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by matthewjw, Jun 22, 2012.

1. I'm always on the lookout for legal spots to park my bike given the increasing number of bikes and hence the ever decreasing number of available free parking spots.

I have noted a green electricity transformer box (the big green boxes) which has some room around it which will accommodate my bike. My assumption is the the land the box sits on, and some amount of area around it is owned by the electricity company. With most electricity providers privatized, I'm thinking that I could park on said area and not get booked by the friendly council rangers.

Tried searching the net but cant really find anything. Aside from getting the land titles diagrams, does anyone have a view on the legalities.

2. Don't know legalities of it all but I would imagine that if they need to do work on said green box they will not hesitate to do it through your bike, kinda of like firies and hydrants.

3. In trying to avoid a state fine you may incur a federal one. Also, just because a private company owns distribution rights and is responsible for maintenance, doesn't mean they own the land.

You must also consider what happens when someone comes to work on the box. You may find you bike "moved" when you come back.

4. Working in the construction industry i've seen many occasions where a car or bike has been moved by forklift or portable crane when they've parked near sub-station terminals. When you're paying Ausgrid upward of $20,000 for four hours of work believe me when i say the people who work on those things don't fark around.

I wouldn't risk it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Whilst I'm not familiar with the relevant laws in every state in Australia, power companies and their representatives often have some interesting statutory rights with regard to access to electrical installations.

I might chance parking as you suggest for short periods occasionally but I certainly wouldn't risk it all day every day.