Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Great time with first lesson

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by bundy, May 10, 2008.

1. Hi All,

just had to tell somebody that I had a great time out on my first lesson leading up to a Q-Ride course. I thought I would get into the world of riding before they change the laws here in Qld.

I have ridden bikes around farms and even done a month stint risking my life on the streets of Saigon and Hanoi in Vietnam (now that's a world of difference)

I got to use a VTR250 as my first Australian street ride, not a bad start I thought. I did pretty well, not having ridden a clutched bike for quite a few years. Instructor said I just have to pick up on my awareness of traffic a little more and I should be right. Handled the manoeuvres fine.

I will be going from no street experience to an open license in about 1 month (gotta luv the Qld laws as they are for another month or so)

My next lesson and subsequent course will be on a GS500, which I would love to buy as my first bike. I suppose a few hours on one will sort out if the bike is for me.

And as an added bonus, all my newly bought gear (helmet, jacket and gloves) was very comfortable

cheers

bundy

2. congrats and I hope you get it so you dont have to suffer on a 250 for a year :p

3. I found the VTR quite easy to ride and forgiving with the gearing, which is probably why they get such a good rap as a learners bike

Do most bikes have the first gear down and then the rest up? I found that quite handy when stopping in traffic knowing that you have first

cheers
    bundy

4. I am pretty sure thats the deal with all bikes

5. Unless there is some weird bike out there, yes, first is always down. When in doubt, hold in clutch and press down until it no longer presses down (if that makes sense)

6. I have ridden a few variations.

One four wheeler was toe up for up a gear, and all the way down to neutral

and Daelim and Hondas I rode overseas had a two side gear shifter, toe down for up a gear, heel down (or toe up) for down a gear, that system almost threw me over handle bars one time in Vietnam

But thanks, seems most bikes are as described in the OP, that makes it easy

cheers

bundy