Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Great Alpine Rd Advice pls

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by ms700, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Hi guys,

Im trying to plan a ride on the Great Alpine Rd, I was kinda planning on starting home (ACT) down Monaro Hwy to Cann River, then Princes Hwy thru Lakes Entrance etc, then jumping onto Great Alpine Way at Bairnsdale. And following the road perhaps to Wangaratta if possible?

This is where i need some advice and guidance - I dont really want to sit on the Hume all the way back to ACT from Wangaratta, are there any back roads i can take, or should i jump off the Great Alpine Rd a little early and take a alternative route back home?

Any advice or criticisms are much appreciated!

2. Yeah, once you get to Wang, backtrack to Beechworth, then head towards Corryong via the various backroads, and look on the map for "Granya Gap". An excellent road.

You can then head over the Snowies down to Jindabyne and to Cooma, then leisurely ride home from there.

Of course, you'll be doing this in October or later....
  3. indeed, I wouldn't be riding through Khancoban/Thredbo/Jindabyne at this time of the year
  4. or mt hotham.
  5. ^^^^ wot they said.

+100 on the Granya Gap Road. You'll want to ride it more than once.