Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Great Alpine Range - Latest you can ride it?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by ajrider, Mar 8, 2015.

1. I was wondering what's generally the latest you can plan to ride out at the Great Alpine Ranges before the weather starts to get too cold / black ice / snow, etc? Is mid April normally getting too late to plan a ride?

If so - when would be the earliest you could safely plan to ride it again?

Obviously each year will differ, but I'm just a general rule of thumb as to what dates you guys would normally avoid?
  2. I've been up falls creek, mount buffalo and all around that area in mid may and it was warm and dry. Alpine roads would get a bit hairy around june i would think, Particularly in the mornings.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. I would say that unless you're keen give it a miss between June and September. Although I've seen good snow falls in October.
  4. IMG_5690.JPG

This is the Great Alpine Road late June last year.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thinking november would be warming up again, this is what we encountered mid-november a few years ago near Hotham:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Was on Mt. Hotham in the middle of March 2014 on a 4WD trip, a group rode up from Omeo, left in the morning at 26 degrees, got to the top it was - 2 and snowing. Just be prepared for all weather in the High Country
    • Agree Agree x 3